KCS vs CLSB

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bazelle

Re: KCS vs CLSB

Post by Bazelle »

Schoolrunmum wrote:
Bazelle wrote:I think it is a 8.45 start and 4pm finish. Clubs until 5 pm. They don't have fixtures on Saturdays so in the end it is not so bad, but still. And his friends are all over London, so they meet on virtual servers playing games in the evenings, I am in between with this, but as they are getting older they are starting to meet for real as well. At regular intervals I ask him if he'd rather go to a closer school and he always vehemently refuses, he likes the school and his friends and puts a brave face on the commute.
Thank you your reply. We are seriously considering this as our first choice so feedback like this is very helpful and very appreciated. We hope that maybe he’ll have a travel buddy for the commute.
Yes, a travel buddy makes all the difference, we were given post codes and contact numbers of families joining the school during the summer to make initial travel arrangements if we wished to. For the 11+ group (and maybe 10+?), they also have a week of sports end of August, so by the time school starts properly they know what they are doing and some boys were already telling their mums that they were fine to travel by themselves (it took a bit longer for my son :D )
newtothislondonmum

Post by newtothislondonmum »

Sorry I have been away from this as we have been very busy visiting school/doing proxy school runs/speaking to as many parents from schools as possible. Now we are in the worst situation of deciding based on the school leavers results. KCS is such a good school and I just cannot say no to it. CLSB is a good school but somehow I am not convinced I want to send him middle of city for next six years.

PS: I have a boy and it was for 13+. Sorry for the typo in my first post.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

I understand where you are coming from (honestly I do), but 3h of commute per day and you said DS prefers CLSB, 40 min away...A friend of mine got lured by St Paul's prestige (11+) and now is bitterly regretting it, DS miserable and in tears every day since September...But I do not know anything about KCS except league table position so I cannot really comment.

For the records, CLSB accepts refugees from top league tables schools mid year, a new friend of DS arrived last year from Westminster :wink:
newtothislondonmum

Post by newtothislondonmum »

[/quote]For the records, CLSB accepts refugees from top league tables schools mid year, a new friend of DS arrived last year from Westminster :wink:[/quote]

Really??? This is great information to know. Thank you so much!
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

There is so much movement in London, places do come available from time to time. But honestly do not worry too much about the schools. Your DS is clearly bright and will do well as long as he is happy.
vnmomma

Post by vnmomma »

"For the records, CLSB accepts refugees from top league tables schools mid year, a new friend of DS arrived last year from Westminster."

I know this boy from our school. He transferred from the Under School (WUS), not Westminster School, to CLSB in Year 8. I think it was a "special" circumstance and not a traditional move.
Hopefulgardener

Post by Hopefulgardener »

Indeed, travelling to City in the morning was an eye-opener for all the commuting they are expected to do for the next few years. To be honest, academically both schools fit our expectatives and I thought City to be a very friendly and enthusiastic school. For us, personally, King’s only advantage is the location and the fact we already have many friends there. Both extremely good choices, albeit not flawless. I think the best school is the one your child chooses to go to.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now