CLSG offer withdrawals

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2childmum

Re: CLSG offer withdrawals

Post by 2childmum »

It is fine to say that you should know if the school is your first choice and should therefore accept immediately. What if it is your second choice and your haven't heard from your first choice yet. Do you accept anyway, pay the deposit, and then find you have a place at your first choice after all. And then do you accept your first choice and give up the deposit on your second choice? Not everyone can afford to do that.

Or do you wait, discover you didn't get your first choice and end up with no place at all.

The schools making these exploding offers should be concerned about their possible future pupils, rather than about themselves.
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

How much is the deposit?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

schoolrun wrote:How much is the deposit?
'If you have to ask, you can't afford it'

£1500, it would appear

https://www.clsg.org.uk/_site/data/file ... 3C530D.pdf
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

Thanks, Toadmum.

Was the following sentence in your post directed to me or is it part of your signature that somehow got misplaced?

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it"
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

schoolrun wrote:Thanks, Toadmum.

Was the following sentence in your post directed to me or is it part of your signature that somehow got misplaced?

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it"
Just an old saying... :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Definitely an old saying, used for the price everything from houses and hotel rooms to hairdressers.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

I see. I've not heard it before. I'm not a regular on these threads. I only pop in now and again. My DD is not even applying this year but I was wondering whether it was a "small enough" amount that parents could sacrifice whilst waiting to hear about other offers. CLSG is one we would be considering in the future.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

difficult to know if an amount is "small enough" to sacrifice while waiting for other offers.

Comes down to the likelihood of the preferred offer coming through / what plan B is if you don't get 1st or second choices / what the amount is as percentage of 7 years of fees plus extras at whichever school
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

It's a saying from the real world, not from this board. The sort of thing people say wryly when the realise that there are no price tags on the designer clothes. It's not personal.

Each family would need to make its own decision about whether it can afford £1500 to secure what may actually be a second-choice place. Obviously if it's your first choice then you just need to make sure you get your deposit and paperwork to school in time to beat everyone else.
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

Got it.

As far as 1st choice, second choice goes... I'm just wondering... It may well be my first choice, but if my second choice school comes up with a sizeable scholarship, that could then become my first choice! There could be a feeling that the second choice school wants my child more and as it was a very close second to begin with, the scholarship changes the order of things. Tough one.