CLSG offer withdrawals

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
streathammum

Re: CLSG offer withdrawals

Post by streathammum »

As far as I know, it's only CLGS that puts pressure on parents this way - to make a meaningful financial commitment to CLGS before other options have crystallised. The other private schools seem to allow parents enough time to decide which offer to accept without threatening them that the offer could be withdrawn at any time. Perhaps it works for City because it's such as sought-after school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

These schools all send out their offers at the same time. So you would already be aware of other offers on the table.

It would only be an issue if your dd was on the waiting list for another school. DG
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

Ahhh. Good to know, daogroupie.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Actually, it's a major issue if you are waiting for state school allocations. No good being told that you have until a day after the state offers are made to accept your place, if the independent school has so massively over-offered that all the places actually available have gone a fortnight before.

Bursary offer holders may not have to pay the deposit to confirm their place and so have nothing to lose if they accept and then decline the place if they are offered the state school they want on March 1st. But for those who don't qualify for a bursary and who see an indie (even one as desirable as CLSG) as where they will make sacrifices to send their DD if they don't get an acceptable state offer, £1500 is an awful lot of money to risk losing if they subsequently find that it isn't 'necessary' to sign up for spending another£70 000+ over the next five years after all.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

I defer to DAO in all things 11+ related except I think she's wrong here - not only do the state schools offer later than the girls' privates as ToadMum says, but the co-ed/ex boys' schools also offer a week later. Our daughter had been invited to a scholarship interview at Forest but their offer didn't come through until after the CLGS and Channing offers had exploded (on the following Thursday). I think Highgate also make their offers on that Thursday.
expat

Post by expat »

Daogroupie wrote:These schools all send out their offers at the same time.
Actually, CLSG's reaction to the mess of the past couple of years appears to be to delay their offers by a bit. Provisionally, they will email results on 25th Feb 2018, i.e., the Monday after half-term, while you should find out about other independent girls schools the Friday before half-term, as in the past.

No help for those waiting on state school offers, but at least it won't disrupt people's ski holidays :roll:, unless you're applying to Channing as well.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

2018 was this year...do you mean 2019?
expat

Post by expat »

kenyancowgirl wrote:2018 was this year...do you mean 2019?
Yes, that should be 25th Feb 2019 :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now