Wimbledon High exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sweetnhappy1

Wimbledon High exam

Post by sweetnhappy1 »

Hi! My daughter will be sitting the Wimbledon High entrance examination in November which will be verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning. I know they write their own paper but was just wondering what style of paper they normally have, does anyone know? Especially for the NVR should I be looking at GL or CEM or both? I would be grateful for any advice.
squareofthewicket

Re: Wimbledon High exam

Post by squareofthewicket »

Hello sweetnhappy1
My understanding is that there isn't any difference between CEM/GL for NVR as far as the content. I don't know specifically about Wimbledon High as my DD wasn't preparing for it last year, but if they are only doing VR & NVR then the NVR paper is most likely to be GL style in that there probably won't be any timed sections; just a time for the entirety of the NVR paper.
zilin1712

Post by zilin1712 »

sweetnhappy1 wrote:Hi! My daughter will be sitting the Wimbledon High entrance examination in November which will be verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning. I know they write their own paper but was just wondering what style of paper they normally have, does anyone know? Especially for the NVR should I be looking at GL or CEM or both? I would be grateful for any advice.
Hi sweetnhappy! I just posted a query on WHS’s 11+ toolkit session and then stumbled across your post.
Have you attended the toolkit session?
If so, would you be able to share what the session entailed?
I was unable to attend and I’m worried I missed some important details of the exam itself.. :(
Thanks!
sweetnhappy1

Post by sweetnhappy1 »

Hi! Yes we went to the session.

It basically consisted of the headmistress doing a talk followed by a tour of the school. During the talk she discussed the written paper in November and the practical activity in January. The information was much like what is written on the website.

The written will be VR and NVR, someone queried if it followed any particular scheme but she said no, it's written in house as worth familiarizing your child with any books available on Amazon or a bookshop.

For the practical the girls will be in groups of around 7. They may have a text read to them and have some sort of practical task relating to the text. There will be some sort of written task at the end. They are hoping the girls will have a lot of fun and are looking for curiosity, teachability, communication skills etc.

They are running more toolkit sessions in November so it may be worth going along to one of those but I didn't feel as if I gained much more from it than what you can read on their website, though we had another nice inspiring headmistress talk and a lovely tour.
zilin1712

Post by zilin1712 »

Thanks Sweetnhappy! Glad to hear most of the information will be on the website.
There’s only one more session in Nov and it’s full so I won’t be able to attend.
Thanks again for sharing the experience and good luck for the exam!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now