St Paul’s boys school - London

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: St Paul’s boys school - London

Post by mad? »

Daogroupie wrote:They are commuting across London from North London to South London in 4 daily coaches.This is answering the OP question as to where are St Pauls boys coming from.
Yes the kids that get theses buses are, but from what I know they are a minority, so it not answering the OP question if there is an implication that this is where SPS boys tend to travel from.
Daogroupie wrote:But I am asking the question why?
I think for some parents the 2 schools they aim for are SPS and Westminster, rightly or wrongly because they perceive them to be the best, particularly among London schools. SPS has perhaps a less urban feel, Westminster is a longer journey from large parts of NW London (the North West West bit).
Daogroupie wrote:I am surprised to learn that St Pauls put on these coaches
I agree, and feel very uncomfortable about bussing children anywhere. They are a London school and are easily accessible to millions (geographically). Personally in the London area where there is excellent public transport I see no need for this.
Back to the OP, DC from all over London go to SPS, as Hammersmith is easily accessible from large (but not all) parts of London.
mad?
Shreyasa

Post by Shreyasa »

Thanks. Yes, the kids come from all over London. Just got to know from a friend that some kids travel from Wimbledon and North London too. So Surrey too. I guess some prefer to use the school coach service even if it’s 45mins as it’s convenient as it will take them more time waiting for a bus then taking a train and walking. So it works out better.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think it is more likely that they are already used to this way of getting to school from going to prep school and their parents prefer it because they feel they are safe.

Increasingly I am encountering DC who spend so little time outside they have never seen dew on a cobweb or even actually seen a cobweb outside.

It also protects them from the reality of crossing from North London to South London twice a day, ten times a week and thirty weeks a year for seven years.

Living in a Hall of Residence and walking to lectures when they go to University must be extraordinary for them if they end up in a University where you can do that. DG
mad?

Post by mad? »

In fairness to SPS they only run a few busses, particularly when compared to QEB and Habs. Presumably this is because the school is more easily accessible to a wider population. I must say I am not a fan of school coaches, particularly in London when public transport is so good.
mad?
Eliza7

Post by Eliza7 »

I commuted myself as a child from North London (crouch end) to St Pauls' Girls in Hammersmith. It was a wonderful school and I don't regret going there, but when it came to choosing a school for my daughter I definitely wanted her to go somewhere local. Its a personal choice of course, but for me hours taken out of every day spent sitting in traffic on a school coach, plus having to travel across London every time you want to see friends - just didn't seem worth it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you for posting Eliza7, it is very interesting to hear about your experience of the long commute across London.

Did you get any say in the matter? Why did your parents want you to go to ST Pauls?

How long did it take and did you have friends to travel with?

Were there a lot of girls coming on the coach such long distances?

I met a parent a few years ago who was travelling 27 stops on the tube every morning and evening with her dd to get her to St Pauls girls.

I was shocked she had given up such a chunk of her own life to get her dd to and from school.

I cannot see how it could possibly have been worth it. And as you say with the loss of local friends for her dd. DG
Eliza7

Post by Eliza7 »

Thanks Daogroupie - it was me that wanted to go to St Paul's as I had really enjoyed the exam/interview days there; but my parents did say we would move to be closer and never got round to it! I used to have to leave home at around 6.30am to get the school bus. We were the first stop on a long route; I did have a few friends on the bus but my main memories of that journey were feeling tired and a bit coach sick! My friends mostly lived in Kensington or Dulwich.

The other difference now, I think, is that my kids and their friends definitely do a lot more after school activities than was the norm when I was at school - I think this would make it harder to add in a long commute?

Having said that, I do notice that my daughter's friends who travel further for school are rather more streetwise and confident on public transport than she is!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now