Habs Boys reasoning only tests

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
animal

Habs Boys reasoning only tests

Post by animal »

I understand that Habs Boys will be following the same format as last year for their first stage of tests in December. Can anyone whose son went through that last year tell me whether standard VR and NVR preparation is enough for this? Thanks.
Daogroupie

Re: Habs Boys reasoning only tests

Post by Daogroupie »

Very sad to see them abandon the standard format written exams in English and Maths. HABS girls are returning to the normal format thank goodness.

The HABS boys exam will also include Multiple Choice Short answer English and Maths.

DG
animal

Post by animal »

Daogroupie wrote:Very sad to see them abandon the standard format written exams in English and Maths. HABS girls are returning to the normal format thank goodness.

The HABS boys exam will also include Multiple Choice Short answer English and Maths.

DG
Thank you. When you say multiple choice English and maths, is that as part of the computerised test that’s described as “reasoning”? It’s a bit misleading if so. They say that English and maths will be tested at interview (arguably worse in my view unless it’s some sort of mini exam paper).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The Maths is called Numerical Reasoning and the English is called Verbal Reasoning. It is MC and part of the computerised test.

English and Maths is also tested at interview, same as last year. DG
daft vading

Post by daft vading »

I have heard that the computerised CEM was notoriously difficult at Habs this December gone; cloze/vocab in particular and timing extremely tight. Anyone able to share their DS experiences?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I do not agree with this. But I agree that DC who were more used to doing tests online and moving the mouse quickly around the screen had an advantage. But the core knowledge required was no different to normal. DG
Dev1

Post by Dev1 »

hi

Does the English exam contain creative writing?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is no English exam, English is part of the online test. English will be discussed at great depth in the interview. DG
PS231

Post by PS231 »

Can anyone tell me if the habs boys 2021 exam is based on CEM format? ..thx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Read up the thread. This is covered. DG