Woldingham vs Wallington vs Wimbledon

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sheriphat

Woldingham vs Wallington vs Wimbledon

Post by sheriphat »

Hello Is there a site which compares all schools - when I looked on the following website it does not publish data for independent schools - https://www.compare-school-performance. ... re-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? Does anyone have any experience of either school? Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Woldingham vs Wallington vs Wimbledon

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't think there is a table for all schools, these are all quite different - Woldingham is mainly a boarding school, many girls from overseas, Wimbledon is an indie day and Wallington is a state grammar. What are you specifically looking to compare?
sheriphat

Post by sheriphat »

hermanmunster wrote:I don't think there is a table for all schools, these are all quite different - Woldingham is mainly a boarding school, many girls from overseas, Wimbledon is an indie day and Wallington is a state grammar. What are you specifically looking to compare?
I am trying to compare their exam results for GCSE and A level?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Unless they have very similar intakes I'm not sure that will tell you anything. Is one more selective than the others? In that case it is likely to get better results.
I would look at the schools as a whole, rather than results (which could change enormously in the next 5-7 years).
What do the schools offer your DD. What are her interests/strengths?
Are there particular clubs she is interested in.
Do you want your daughter at a boarding school where there is a high percentage of overseas students.
Which is easiest to get to etc etc?

Have you been able to visit any of them?
scary mum
sheriphat

Post by sheriphat »

scary mum wrote:Unless they have very similar intakes I'm not sure that will tell you anything. Is one more selective than the others? In that case it is likely to get better results.
I would look at the schools as a whole, rather than results (which could change enormously in the next 5-7 years).
What do the schools offer your DD. What are her interests/strengths?
Are there particular clubs she is interested in.
Do you want your daughter at a boarding school where there is a high percentage of overseas students.
Which is easiest to get to etc etc?

Have you been able to visit any of them?
DD is quite academic - likes maths and music and has played piano for a few years. Wimbledon is easiest to get to. I visited both Wimbledon and Woldingham. Wallington would not allow anyone inside due to covid although I did see the grounds. Woldingham is in beautiful grounds but I think academically she would do better at Wallington. Just looking to see if anyone has experience of any of the schools.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

For info about Wallington, posting in the 'Surrey' section might yield better results.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Our daughter went to Wimbledon High Junior School, she is now at Tiffin Girls.

Personally I would avoid the GDST schools if your daughter is highly academic or sporty.

They are more interested in Show over Substance.

Our daughter was very happy there, but there are better schools
sheriphat

Post by sheriphat »

NathanJ wrote:Our daughter went to Wimbledon High Junior School, she is now at Tiffin Girls.

Personally I would avoid the GDST schools if your daughter is highly academic or sporty.

They are more interested in Show over Substance.

Our daughter was very happy there, but there are better schools
Do you think the GDST schools are less academic?
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

From our experience I would say they are less academic than TGS, Wallington, SPGS, G&L, LEH.

WHS Senior School has tiny classrooms and the facilities are average.

TGS is far superior with the added benefit of bring free.

In our daughter's year all the academic girls left, even the ones offered academic scholarships. Not one of the academic scholars from the Junior school chose to stay.

I guess that says it all.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I guess it depends what the competition is. There are lots of good Grammar schools competing for the pupils is the WHS area - less so for other GDST schools.
mad?