Triplets and 11+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ellie

Triplets and 11+

Post by Ellie »

I have 4 DD’s aged 11 and 10. DD1 has won a scholarship to a leading London girl’s indie for September 2009. DD’s 2, 3 and 4 are identical triplets and want to take the entrance exam for the same school. All DD’s are of similar ability and all want to go to the same school as DD1. I have been advised by friends that due to intense competition in London (it’s fierce and that’s just between the mothers) that one school is unlikely to take all three girls in 2010.

Do you think in the current economic climate that one school will accept triplets or should I consider applying to different schools for them? DD1’s school are not yet aware that I have a small tribe of clever DD’s waiting in the wings.

DH and I will be working until we are at least 100 to pay the fees! Your expressions of sympathy and helpful suggestions are welcomed.
KES Parent

Re: Triplets and 11+

Post by KES Parent »

Ellie wrote: Do you think in the current economic climate that one school will accept triplets or should I consider applying to different schools for them? DD1’s school are not yet aware that I have a small tribe of clever DD’s waiting in the wings.
I am pretty certain that all highly selective schools would offer their places strictly according to the merit order of the entrance test, although I can understand why the mummies of the girls who will competing with your triplets might want you to think otherwise. You don't say if you are looking for any bursary funding, but even if you were I would be pretty confident that your circumstances of 4 DDs almost the same age would be in your favour - unless the available funding had run out higher up the merit order. I should think a school which had offered a scholarship to your eldest DD would be gagging to get applications from her three sisters if they were aware of them. Just take advice from the school, no-one else (apart from us on this site, of course!)

I'm afraid I can't offer you too much sympathy as the thought of three identical girl triplets just makes my heart melt. (I hasten to add I am a soppy mummy, not an old man in a raincoat. :oops:) But despite this I don't think I would like to be paying your bills!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Ellie,

Well done for first DD winning scholarship and well done for you having 4 DD's soooo close in age! :shock: 8)

Two thoughts here and one similar to KESParent (Wub :wink: ): DD has clearly impressed and schools generally like to "keep things in the family" as its less likely you would pull DD out if all kids are at the same school. Of course it can work the other way in that the school will assume if one is already there then you will send the rest.

My suggestion is that you do apply for a mixture of different schools (which the girls choose based on their personalities/desires) to keep your options open but also have a very frank conversation with DD's school very soon. I personally believe that they wouldn't have offered DD a scholarship knowing that there was a strong possibility that you would need help with your other daughters - schools assume that if you choose them then you want your other children to go there.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

KES and Tipsy thanks for your kind words and advice. I am in a fortunate position and am not looking for any bursarial assistance.

I will have a discussion with DD's prep school after the Easter break. The secondary school that has offered DD1 a place is not yet aware that I have 3 other DD's knocking loudly on their door hoping to be allowed in.

KES you are right about the bills, I won't be retiring anytime soon even though I feel 100 already.
another mother

Post by another mother »

have pm'd you Ellie - but not sure if its worked :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now