Reference letters from head of primary school to secondary.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
blue

Reference letters from head of primary school to secondary.

Post by blue »

Hi,
does anyone have any experience or know what type of info that a head from a junior school is requested to put in a letter of reference when applying for an independent secondary school?
The school we are applying for seem to like good all rounders ie the child also being involved in after school clubs etc... and the head will be contacting my childs school around January time.
Also does anyone know whether or not the year 5 sats results are needed to give an idea of ability.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Sorry, although we have through it once already, I have no idea what sort of information is sought. I could hazard a guess, but I do not know.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I expect:

Position in class in each subject and if top by what margin

Attitude and behaviour

Effort

Willingness to participate in extra curricular

Other achievements

General character
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

We were sent the reference forms to complete some of the info and then pass onto the school (these are day schools so not sure whether Boarding Schools ask for more info) but info reqd was things like

after school activities
clubs / membership outside of school
musical ability / grade
drama prodns
sports

attitude to work
attendance
effort
behaviour
special needs
physical disabilities

There are more categories but I can't remember them sorry!

I remeber there being a box requesting SAT exam results

Then General H/masters comments
Milla

Post by Milla »

God, how scary is all this. Thank goodness it's not our bag. Makes the mere GS tests seem a breeze.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Milla wrote: Makes the mere GS tests seem a breeze.
Most parents don't have to deal with it. It's the Heads that do! :D
Milla

Post by Milla »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: Most parents don't have to deal with it. It's the Heads that do! :D
yes, but you KNOW they are doing it. It's the powerless bit which is so stressy. Which is why we grown ups should be allowed to take the tests and not leave it to the vagaries of the children :wink: !
blue

Sats grades in reference to entrance to independents.

Post by blue »

Thank you for all your great advice, there is lot's there to consider.
I wonder how much they look at the sats results from year 5 as my daughter has done unexpectedly well with some of the literacy questions getting level 5 and much lower in maths getting 3b when two terms ago we were told she was a year ahead in maths!
It is just one test but still, if the new head sees these results the maths doesn't look great.
I suppose they look at what they can achieve in the future too, as an indicator.
sp

Post by sp »

Do they have an entrance exam? If so they would see her true potential in the subjects tested.
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

I was just thinking, if you say what school you are applying to, there may be some people with experience of that particular school who could give you more help :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now