Independents more socially inclusive than top state schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

huntlie wrote: The school in question is in a leafy suburb, and the vast majority of pupils are delivered to the door in latest-reg. BMW type cars - about 3/4 of them came from private preps or were intensively tutored. It's fascinating as a social study because one way lies the poorer housing, the other the £2 million + housing - at the end of the school day, a measly little trickle - maybe 100 + /- pupils? heads off for the 'poor' area - but the vast majority of the 900 head for the acreage of Epsom or the Victoriana of Richmond. Grammar schools socially inclusive? They must be kidding.
I beg to differ a little.
As I said before, it does depend on the area and the admissions policy.The school my children are at is certainly NOT socially inclusive but as I said in earlier posts, some grammars in the county are.

Bucks selects the top 25 % and has a vast array of grammars and again therefore are much more socially inclusive, certainly than in comparison to independent schools.

Even the successful non selective schools in leafy suburbs are subject to a form of social selection via property prices.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

I think we are agreed! Bucks is v. different to Kingston - Tiffin Girls, say, selects 120 out of about 900.

Yes, my point exactly - local area housing likely to be 'leafy' anyway. But it was not ever thus - Sutton's GS, for example, used to have majority of pupils from 'poorer' areas until Greenwich Judgment kicked in.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

This sort of issue is meat and drink to the Sutton Trust.
See link: http://www.suttontrust.com/reports/Rate ... chools.pdf
I seem to recall seeing an updated version, but the conclusions were broadly the same. Free school meals (as a proxy for low income) are very low at top performing State schools, be they GS or Comp.
The suggestion is that, inter alia, they have been colonised by the affluent middle class (a la Huntlie's post, although Huntlie has been caught out greatly exaggerating the social set-up at Tiffin(?) by other posters on another thread).

If Chelmsford Mum is right, ie that some are more diverse than others, and the average is comparable to Independent schools, then that would suggest that the most selective GSs are even less socially diverse than Indies. Unlike the Indies, the GSs are under no public pressure to demonstrate a contribution to the wider society.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why would anyone take what the Daily Mail says seriously? :lol: :lol:

Who conducted this 'research'? Was their evidence base?

As a famous politician said 'lies, d*mned and statistics'
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Actually it was mentioned in 4 papers that I know of.
WP

Post by WP »

Guest55 wrote:Who conducted this 'research'? Was their evidence base?
The stories are based on the Independent Schools Council's latest annual census.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - hardly 'independent ' research then!! :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

To be fair, the article nowhere claims that the research is independent, the word "independent" is only used in the context of the schools.

Pity everyone printed the press release when the ISC wasn't even prepared to release the actual research, though.

Mike
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well a census is a census and not subjective.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

But it is not necessarily truthful - remember the 2001 national census and people putting 'Jedi' so it could be recognised as a religion ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now