Reference letters from head of primary school to secondary.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

This quote is exactly why schools are female biased. It is insulting to males.

Quote:
their more responsible female classmates

Quote:
not too aggressive, which can occur when boys are exclusively working and studying together.
I found this quite shocking, actually. And like Tipsy says, the language used is pejorative.

Are girls inherently more responsible than boys? Where’s the psychological proof for this, please? Where are the statistical studies to support this statement? And even if such studies exist, they should not be couched in these terms.

The idea that a group of boys are ‘aggressive’ is also a fundamental misunderstanding of the way in which boys study and interact with their teachers. Boys can be bolshy and confrontational when questioning things they are told – this is not being aggressive, it is the nature of the beast.

It is very noticeable at DS’s school that the teachers whom the boys like (and who like them) are the ones who enjoy being challenged in this way. At our last parents’ evening, almost every teacher started off by saying “They’re a very lively class…â€
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Dear Rob,

You get angry with stereotyping/branding boys (and you are very much justified for doing so, as well as Tipsy) but you should be careful because then you make some of your own branding:
Boys can be bolshy and confrontational when questioning things they are told – this is not being aggressive, it is the nature of the beast.
Who says that girls can not be that or more than that? Where is the evidence? When I was at school (girls only) I had an opinion about everything (hardly suprising) and in fact I went out of my way to be the devil's advocate if I found out that there was more or less general agreement about anything. I was a favourite with the teachers and all the class loved a heated debate! Being verbally challenging is not the nature of the beast; it is the nature of human intelligence and the gift of the ability to debate.
However we usually perceive boys to be more agressive in a physical sense;but the only reason for that is because girls typical lack the physical ability/strength boys have. Hovewer they are as argumentative (if not more) than boys are. And one suspects that they win their points more often than boys do; hence the resulting anti-boys bias!
sj355
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

sj, you sound like my daughter :lol:

I have no doubt that you are right in everything you say, but please note that I did not make any claims regarding girls in my post because I was specifically confining myself to making a point about boys.

That does not in any way contradict what you are saying about girls…
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Rob Clark wrote:sj, you sound like my daughter :lol:

I have no doubt that you are right in everything you say, but please note that I did not make any claims regarding girls in my post because I was specifically confining myself to making a point about boys.

That does not in any way contradict what you are saying about girls…
True. But the problem as it was expressed was that boys are demonised relative to the girls (by arguing that the latter more "sensible", etc), not in absolute terms.
sj355
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now