How Do Independent Schools Do It?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

This is the problem with a lot of the inde schools in London. They are virtually all selective and as I said before there cannot be that amount of bright kids to fill that amount of selective schools. Outside of London a good prep school will say your child should go to Stowe or Milton Abbey if they are below average, Eton or Winchester if they are phenomenally bright. But some parents will never believe their kids are not A graders. :roll: I would never pay for tuition at inde school unless DS2 was getting himself worked up (even the teachers are bringing this strange "can't do" obsession he has with maths to my attention) and he needed some confidence in one subject. If it was across all subjects then I'd be putting him into a less academic school.
moved

Post by moved »

Tips
I think your DD2 is probably suffering from being the younger child with an older, very able sibling. I know that when my son was at school with my daughter she viewed herself as less able as he was so good mathematically. She was put into the bottom group towards the middle of yr 3 (teacher was useless). We spent some time each day in the Easter holidays working through some work books bought in smiths. Same in yr 4. Interestingly she is still not confident with maths despite now performing significantly above her peer group. I would work with him at home during the summer, making sure that the older, clever one is several miles away at the time.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think you are right moving. DS1 is weak at English (couldn't care less) but DS2 is strong in that subject and takes great pride in having this strength that his brother does not have. I will work with him in the summer but boy it tests my patience. With every question he wants to talk through how he is going to do it before he starts and needs constant reassurance. Unfortunately, like your situation, I think he will always feel less confident even if he improves. Lets just say he won't be picking maths A'level, even if he's able!
moved

Post by moved »

Sounds very similar to my household DD excels in English and wants to do any job that involves English: barrister, journalist, newsreader.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

DS2 has made me laugh at times because he tries to impress with a big word he has heard but sticks it into the wrong sentence! :lol:
sp

Post by sp »

My DD was very similar about 6 months before 11+ so it was a bit worrying! Her older brother always found primary school maths a doddle whereas she had to work hard at it and was more interested in other subjects. Despite being more than able to do her work she so lacked in confidence that she came across as a bit dim! Kept asking the same questions but after a few questions from me would suddenly produce the right answer.
I was recommended a Hypnotherapist who came to our home and spent time with DH and I discussing what we thought were the issues. Then she spent 45 mins with DD and gave her techniques for dealing with certain situations.
DH was extremely cynical as was I but we decided to encourage her to use what she had learnt. Could be a coincidence but not only did Maths improve (11+ tutor was amazed with increase in speed) but she seemed far happier in herself. Who knows?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I will look into Hypnotherapy. If you live close to London I'd appreciate it if you could recommend this person. It's so difficult knowing who is good.
sp

Post by sp »

The person we saw is in Tunbridge Wells but if you like I could see if she can recommend someone nearer to you?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

One of the issues with maths is that it’s a ‘building block’ subject, isn’t it? Unless you completely grasp the concepts at any given stage, it becomes harder and harder to move on to the next stage. For example, I was very strong at primary school maths but came a real cropper at 13/14 because I just could not get to grips with calculus. Squeaked through ‘O’ level then gave up sharpish :lol:

English, on the other hand, while you might hate any given play, poem or novel you don’t need to despair because in a few weeks’ time you’ll move onto another one, so your inability to get to grips with, say, Dickens isn’t going to have a wider impact on your studying.

Just my tuppenny-ha’penny’s worth.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now