Open Days

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rachag

Open Days

Post by rachag »

Hi. Top tips for things to look out for or ask at open evenings please. Starts at end of school day so presumably no classes going on.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Arrive early and see how DC behave as they exit.

As regards suggested questions, it would be easier to help if you could flesh out what interests you, what type of school you want, what your DC is like etc
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
fm

Post by fm »

How many children in class? KEHS recently put on another class, making about 19 in class, but previous years, I think they had one less class, meaning more children?

How many subjects offered? Small school so may not do full range.

How many subjects studied at GCSE? Believe they do a couple less than grammar schools. Personally think this is better but does limit choice at 14.

Obviously any health/social issues specific to your child.

Ask if there is any time you can go and see the school in action. This would give you a better flavour of what sort of children go there. I am fairly sure our local independents are invited to visit during a school day.

I don't think you'd have to ask much about their results as they are detailed very clearly on their website.

Try to talk to some of the teachers to see what they are like. I was surprised to find that I liked most of the teachers at Camp Hill Girls significantly more than I had liked the teachers at Five Ways where my eldest attended, although many of these have since been pensioned off.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Check out the sticky at the top of the General 11+ Topics section of the forum (sorry - I've been here years and still can't post a link properly).

There are some great tips there!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

rachag

Post by rachag »

Many thanks. Thread above covers issues I would never have considered.

Will print it off for DD to read on way there later. May help focus on exactly what she wants from school and she can ask questions.

FTB - DD is fairly self-assured, not gregarious but can speak for herself and does not go with the crowd - follows own agenda. School reports comment on maturity, organization and general sensibleness. Laugh at this as must have alter ego at school. Likes good marks and being top in tests etc and never a prob with homework. Not sporty and doesn't like giggly girls. Musical.

Current issue is small peer group - 7 girls in class and 11 in year out of total of 35. Needs larger group to find someone more like herself. This is a big priority as I am sure all 3 schools we are looking at will offer good academic opportunities.

All very well having small classes but I never realized what difficulties it could bring when signed up at age 3.

DD2 in class with 4 girls and 8 in year from total of 25 but will wait to see what happens as different child.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Sticky thread is very good indeed.

To these I would add the following steps:
1. Check out what schools feed pupils to the senior schools you are looking at. Do these feeder schools tend to produce the more serious minded academic girls that your DD1 is likely to relate to, or are they more in the jolly hockeysticks or frivolous camps?

2. I would post for views on each of the schools you are considering. I would do so in both the Indie thread and also in the relevant county thread (I received some excellent feedback and PMs in one county thread). Ask about ethos, behaviour, discipline etc - the sort of thing you cannot get from a website. Isolated views may be discounted, but it can be quite reassuring to hear the same description of the type of DC your DD1 will encounter. This will undoubtedly trigger questions for your visit.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.