Big School Worries

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

I agree with Tipsy on this.
Having a new addition as your guide is fine for relating to one's DC if in tow, and useful on the first impressions front.
However more difficult questions usually go unanswered.
One school provided a combination of teacher and students, which was perfect, although the Head then (possibly as a result) didn't take questions after her spiel. :roll:
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Also many parents bringing their eldest junior-aged child to look at a secondary school may not have much experience of the sheer hulking size of the average 6th form boy (or the scary sophistication of the 6th form girls!) and find it completely impossible to imagine their own children that age - a 12 year old still in an over-large blazer is much easier to relate to!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hello Phew its hot :oops: :oops:

I suppose if you are opting to pay for education, then perhaps you have more options.In which case you really want to see how one school differs to another.Therefore a very well informed guide would be helpful.If you were paying (adding it all together) around 100k + on anything else, you would want all your questions answered and every detail of comparison to other schools to hand.
Most people using the state system, at least in this area, have two choices at best. These two schools are not hugely different in social mix or results.School roll numbers are increasing again and soon there will be only the Catchment school or grammar.
At all the schools we visited(only 3), two were guided by year 7s and one by sixth formers.I am not sure the latter were any better than the former.I always went to the circulating teachers to ask questions of any importance.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It is better to have a mix of ages and some schools have two pupils from different year groups showing parents round, however if you are shown round by an impressive child, who has just started, then that is not the product of the school. Similarly with an unimpressive child.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:It is better to have a mix of ages and some schools have two pupils from different year groups showing parents round, however if you are shown round by an impressive child, who has just started, then that is not the product of the school. Similarly with an unimpressive child.
Just remembered DD's school had a yr 7 and a sixth former give a speech.That was worthwhile.The latter especially because you were thinking "this is the end product".I thought she was lovely, articulate and insightful.Another mum with me thought she was "too posh".You can't please everyone :roll:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I never thought speaking properly was a bad thing. :?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I never thought speaking properly was a bad thing. :?
I agree.
I suspect it just touched on her own insecurities and reinforced stereotypes re the grammar schools locally. She couldn't imagine or feel comfortable with her own daughter turning out that way.She wasn't actually "posh" just well spoken.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Master yoyo's school had a year 7 (who was so tiny he had to stand on a box) and the head boy.

They both spoke very eloquentally about what being at the school meant to them, one at the start of it, one nearing the end.

It showed how the boys grew to be confident responsible young men ( or not in Master yoyo's case!)

:roll:
guest42

Post by guest42 »

On my DD induction evening they held a treasure hunt around the school so new pupils could learn their way around.

In order to deal with worries about making new friends the school holds an adventure camp immediately at the start of Year 7.

From the April prior to the start of Year 7 all new girls met weekly for games at the School (even though they weren't at the School then if you see what I mean!) so they could get to know each other and be ready to kick ass on the sports field in September.

In this day and age any decent inde should have its pastoral side sorted out!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

One year I had a boy in my Y7 form who was so small he had to have his blazer made to order ... altogether now 'aaaaah'
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now