Advance place accepted but no longer required

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Advance place accepted but no longer required

Post by moved »

Hi

Does anyone have experience of this situation. DS does not wish to take up his place at a Kent Independent school. He was offered a big scholarship, at the beginning of yr 6, and at the time we accepted the place. Having spent yr 7 in GS he no longer wishes to take up the place for yr 9. As his primary school ended at yr 6 this situation was predictable, Indie were not willing to fund fees for two yrs of prep school, even if there were one available to us.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Moving,

Why don't you hold off another two terms to see how he gets on in Year 8 and also take him to this independent school especially to events quite often in these two terms so his decision is balanced.

I'm so thrilled he is happy but given the size of scholarship he has been offered and knowing the school I would not be turning it down because DS didn't want to go.

If you've paid a deposit then you may lose it but as long as you give 1 terms notice you should be fine. If you are set on not sending him it would be fairer to let the school know asap so such a vast bursary can be offered to a needy boy who may not have a GS option.
moved

Post by moved »

No deposit for scholarship boys, currently thinking of sending him just to stop the shouting :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sorry :oops: , it's just I'd sell my mother to have been given what your DS has, but just because that's what I'd do doesn't mean it's right for you and your family.

Actually, just come up with a great idea! :o Keep him where he is and I'll send my DS and pretend he's yours? :shock: Then we'll both be happy! :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Moving - I can quite understand why your son doesn't want to change school.
He's made friends, got used to the place and found his feet -
It might be worth going round the other school again so he can work out IF the change is worth it -

Personally, if he feels that strongly I'd leave him where he is.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My son felt so strongly about his previous school and now he often mentions how right I was not to give into him because the school he is at now is so much better.