11+ Colet COurt and Westminster

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My concern is not the facilities or the teachers which are excellent as SVE suggests but the type of parent who sends their DC there. It used to be a great debating school but parents who want DC to get A's at any cost have no interest in their kids participating in extra-curricular activities. This is the difference between Westmimster and St P's - equal academic results and yet it only gets 20-25% into Oxbridge and Ivy League compared to 60% at Westminster.
Thea

Post by Thea »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: "No, because it will affect the league tables". Well, frankly, that spoke volumes too me!
Probably just being polite - rather than saying - 'a year early, poor kid - you are a pushy parent - we don't want you' :)
Know many children and parents there, boys are happy, confident, polite, friendly, parents ditto...
Best Regards,
Thea
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well, Westminster were willing to at least talk to us about it, not cut us off over the phone. There are a number of children who need to be a year ahead and has nothing to do with being pushy. Why would anyone want to have their child out of year group unless it was absolutely necessary. As it is Westminster said DS was one of the strongest candidates, a potential scholar (even though he was a year young and had no prep/tutoring or interview coaching) and was ready to come a year early should we wish. Parents who think their kids need to come a year early are generally not deluded; we haven't decided yet if he'll start early.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

My son sat 11+ pre-tests for both Westminster and St Pauls 13+ entry and was offered both.

I am afraid to say, and based on knowing a reasonably large number of St Pauls parents, both we and our son (the decision was his in the end) opted for Westminster.

It was meeting parents who could recite the exact order in which kids came in class that put us off. My son would have been in the same year and would have been well into the middle order. We did not want him left feeling that he was not good enough.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

I should add though that we know some really nice St Pauls parents and children. Though one observation is that most of these entered at 13. Colet Court does seem to be a pressure house, though whether it is the school or parents who cause this would be difficult to say.