Financial help

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Financial help

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I am always being pm'd by posters asking about bursaries and how they should go about applying. Firstly I want to say that you must always approach the school, even if it does not advertise any bursary help. Some are also confused when it says that a school offers 10-30% scholarships and therefore do not apply because it is still too little. These scholarships are purely based on academic merit and can be augmented up to 100% based on means. It is also not necessary to win a scholarship in order to get a bursary. So my advise is to go and see the schools and let them know in advance that you will need finacial help.

Regarding schools, there are two schools which are particularly generous when it comes to bursaries:

Christs Hospital - everyone is means-tested so you only need to pass the test, not neccessarily be the best candidate.

http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/index.html

Rugby - although it cannot offer as many bursaries as Christs Hospital, it still offers a large number of generous bursaries.

http://www.rugbyschool.net/admissions/f ... POLICY.pdf

Of course these schools may not appeal but as I am always being asked what schools are the most generous then I thought I should put these two online. Hope it helps, but you can always pm me if you need anything more specific! :D
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

This charity established under the wills of the West's, provides income for the benefit of children resident in the boroughs of Reading, Newbury and Twickenham, together with one girl from the City of London. Further details are available here.
The scheme was revised in 1990 to include kin of John and Frances West. Parents of West's Foundationers are required to pay 50% of the assessed parental contribution, the balance being provided by the fund.
Local newspaper runs a feature most years to encourage Reading borough residents to consider this generous scheme. I even half heartedly thought about it for DS1.
Christ's Hospital remains one of the last and largest truly charitable schools. It funds more places for children, particularly those in social, financial or other need, than any other independent boarding school.

In 2006/07, the Foundation contributed 84% towards funding places of its 840 pupils.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think they have lifted the location criteria, but I'm not totally sure. :?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

The school assess all parents you only pay what they say you can afford, then you can get a further 50% discount.

Only 16% of total fee bill paid by parents. IIRC somewhere on the website they give an estimate of fees vs family income.
All parents are means tested and pay a contribution according to the income of the home in
which the child resides. 112 families were not asked to pay a parental contribution and only 22 families pay the full
contribution. The Trustees (Council of Almoners) has placed a limit of 6% on the number of pupils who may attend
whose parents pay the full contribution – the current proportion is 2.6%.
Average parental contribution (£) 2005/06 2006/07 2007/8
2,785 3,194 3,487
Using the criteria set down by the Government regarding free school
meals, we have calculated, from the information that we hold on the
financial situation of the families of pupils at the School, that 32%
would qualify for free school meals as compared to 2.1% of children
who attend top state schools nationally.

steve
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tipsy

I think this thread is a wonderful idea, and thank you for starting it. I was really ignorant about bursaries and scholarships until I arrived on this forum, and even now there is a real scarcity of information about many aspects of independent schooling.

Given that financial help may be the only possible route for many people on here to achieve entry into the private sector, I would encourage anyone with experience of approaching schools for reduced fees to post here.

Sally-Anne
kosar.irshad

Post by kosar.irshad »

Just a quick reply to Sally Anne's Post. I have approached two schools in Edinburgh for assistance with fees and they have been most helpful. The impression they gave me was that If one has a reasonably bright child they should definitely apply for bursarial aid.

Qotes from both school's that were particularly encouraging

" The money put aside for busarial aid has not been used fullly for the past two years i.e there was more money available than applicants"

"We do not offer sinicle amounts of financial aid."

"You need to have a clear idea of which school you want to send your child to because you may end up with more than one offer."

Overall the experience was a lot more pleasant than I imagined, I would wholeheartedly encourage anyone else to approach schools for assistance with fees if it is required. I am also indebted to Tipsy for giving me the little push to go down this road.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Kosar,

When is your son sitting the exams and have you made a decision on your preference should you be offered equal bursaries. I prefer Merchiston but only because it's named after one of my ancestors - Alexander Napier. :wink: Keep us posted! :)
hopeforthebest

Post by hopeforthebest »

oo
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kosar.irshad

Post by kosar.irshad »

Hi Tipsy, I have actually applied to four school, not two( typo error) :oops:
Merchiston, Edinburgh Academy, George Heriots and George Watson's.

My first choice is Heriots. The Head asked me to return to the school with my child so that he could meet him. He seemed very impressed with my son and was giving out positive vibes.

He sits the exams on 14th,16th,17th and 31st Jan.
Incidentally I decided not to apply to Fettes because the school made it clear that my son has to be of scholarship level in order to obtain any bursary, and coming from a State school I feel he would not have covered the work necessary. I will definitely keep you posted with regards to the outcome. Kosar
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Kosar,

That figures with Fettes - arrogant, arrogant, ARROGANT! And the pupils I have come across aren't much better. I would write to the scottish charity commission about what they said, because bursaries are not necessarily supposed to be for the brightest kids.

You are right about Herriot's as their pastoral care is very good. I really, really hope it goes well for you, and well done for putting your son in for so many tests - kids cope - mine did 7 in a month once (he loved it)!

Good Luck! :D