Anyone else the poorest in the school ?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chardom

Post by chardom »

When we were looking at indie schools last september we visited one near us where all the mothers looked like they were going to a wedding they were so dressed up!! :roll: Within 30 minutes my DS said he didnt feel comfortable and to be honest neither did I, so we left the open day early. In contrast, the school where DS is starting in September (on a scholarship) had their open day a couple of weeks later and the atmosphere was totally different. Even though it is more prestigous, old money and much more expensive, the parents were very dressed down and both DS and myself felt very at home. In fact he came out and said 'thats the school for me'. Neither of us felt out of place even though we were probably the poorest family by far. I think that every school attracts different people and you just have to find the one for you!
mummog

Post by mummog »

Katie DD wrote:
You see that strikes me as being quite foolish, would you not research all the options before making any choices costing 70,000 per child, goodness knows we looked and looked at schools before deciding.
[/quote]

I agree entirely. However, some are easily influenced by their group of friends and, mindless though it may seem to some of us, follow the crowd without too much question as they feel it is the 'thing to do' in the area in which they live. They assumed that their son would not fit in at a state primary school but have had their eyes opened and been very pleasantly surprised. I was not for a minute suggesting that you have not done your research thoroughly but merely making the point that others have made, that there may be the perfect place for your child in the state sector if you can just find it

Our daughter did not pass the 11+ and is therefore going to a school which we would not have chosen for her and where we do not think that she will necessarily fit in. We have made the decision to fill her life with other things, singing lessons, drama workshops, etc, to boost her confidence and give her plenty of opportunities to make other friends outside school. Might this be an option for you to consider rather than you struggling to send her to a school where she might not necessarily thrive.

Mmg x
KatieDD

Post by KatieDD »

mummog wrote:Katie DD wrote:
You see that strikes me as being quite foolish, would you not research all the options before making any choices costing 70,000 per child, goodness knows we looked and looked at schools before deciding.
I agree entirely. However, some are easily influenced by their group of friends and, mindless though it may seem to some of us, follow the crowd without too much question as they feel it is the 'thing to do' in the area in which they live. They assumed that their son would not fit in at a state primary school but have had their eyes opened and been very pleasantly surprised. I was not for a minute suggesting that you have not done your research thoroughly but merely making the point that others have made, that there may be the perfect place for your child in the state sector if you can just find it

Our daughter did not pass the 11+ and is therefore going to a school which we would not have chosen for her and where we do not think that she will necessarily fit in. We have made the decision to fill her life with other things, singing lessons, drama workshops, etc, to boost her confidence and give her plenty of opportunities to make other friends outside school. Might this be an option for you to consider rather than you struggling to send her to a school where she might not necessarily thrive.

Mmg x[/quote]

We already do this hence we feel we've reached the end of the road with state. I agree all those things are a good idea but if you're unhappy 6 hours a day you're not going to learn much.
mummog

Post by mummog »

You DDs are extremely lucky to have parents who are willing to move heaven and earth to make them happy. Good on you! I for one loved my indie - as a day-girl, then a weekly boarder and, in the 6th form, as a full boarder - I loved it every which way.

Good luck
Mummog x
KatieDD

Post by KatieDD »

Well that's it we've bought the uniform so we're going !

I've never seen the older child so happy she was grinning from ear to ear
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

That smile makes it seem all worth it doesn't it? :D
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Yeah. Nothing like an end to uncertainty.

Good Luck.

PS

I like the new improved Independent Section. :wink:
Animis opibusque parati
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I like the new improved Independent Section. :wink:
What have I missed??

That is super news to hear that your daughter is so pleased KatieDD. All the very best to her.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:I like the new improved Independent Section. :wink:
I believe that SVE has been on holiday and busy, and has just noticed the arrival of the excellent Hermanmunster as a Mod on this section, complete with newly-polished bolts! :lol:
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

I hadn't noticed! Congratulations Hermanmunster on your modship :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now