Boarding school - trunks and tuck boxes

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Susan

Boarding school - trunks and tuck boxes

Post by Susan »

DS is off to boarding school in September, so we will need to get a trunk (or v. large suitcase) and a tuck box.
Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on purchasing them since there seems to be a large disparity between what John Lewis charges and online sites.
Would a suitcase be robust enough?
Any advice gratefully received,
Susan
solimum

Post by solimum »

Hi Susan

Last year I bought my son a very reasonably priced trunk for university from Logicline http://www.storagetrunks.co.uk/ which arrived very promptly. We got a reinforced lid so it can be used as a seat (and I made a cushion to fit!) . Unfortunately his room was up several flights of stairs (no lift) and had to be cleared at each vacation, and he couldn't leave the trunk behind so it might not have been the best purchase I ever made - awkward to carry when full (you can get wheels but then wouldn't be so useful as a seat). It might be sensible to ask the school what they recommend as there may be space restrictions
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

When I was at school (many, many moons ago) everyone had trunks - like those in the link above.
zee

Post by zee »

mitasol wrote:When I was at school (many, many moons ago) everyone had trunks - like those in the link above.
Ditto. And a suitcase wouldn't have been big enough.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thank you all for your feedback. My mother very kindly paid for trunk and tuck box for DS. I ordered them from the site Solimum recommended and they arrived this week. They really are gorgeous!
Unfortunately our house is so tiny that there isn't space in DS bedroom to lay it down :shock: will have to think of some way round this as the pile of labelled clothes grows higher!
Susan
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now