Move to an Independent school mid-year?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Yes G42 - having gone through it with DS not sure I want to repeat it now with DD. My DS also loving Y7 at indie.
CIER

Post by CIER »

Hi everyone

I am thinking about moving my son to an indie school. He has a speech disorder and I feel he is constantly trying to catch up. He is quite happy at his school this year (yr 5) but had a very bad year (bad teacher and bad headteacher!) last year which was even more disappointing because I had just made him move to this school from a failing school (together with 3 of his friends). I am now waiting for a mediation meeting with the head teacher and chair of governors but I feel it is too late as the trust has gone. I suppose I am worried about rushing things just because of last year and because I can't see a way forward at this school but that is me, not my son. Having said that I feel it is only a matter of time before there will be more problems which will affect his happiness at school and parent/school partnership is just totally absent!

Any comments welcome!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi CIER,

If it wasn't for your son's learning needs then I would suggest that you see the term out but I think he may fare better in a very small nurturing prep and especially the ones that are not focussed on exams but the individual child. Often it is the cheapest and smallest ones which would help nurture and bring your child on quicker. It sounds as if you have been trying to find a state school that will work for your child and if the second attempt is not working then that may be a sign that you need an alternative. I suspect the problem is class size and although a class size of 20 is much better I would try and see if you can find a school with 15 or less in the class. Good luck!
CIER

Post by CIER »

Hi T.i.p.s.y

Thank you for replying. I think a smaller class size will do him good too although he is doing quite well in school now (somewhere at the top of middle I would say). His speech disorder is now mild and it hasn't affected his literacy but he is behind and quite young for his age. On the continent he would have redoubled a year by now to help him catch up. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to happen here which is a shame (I am Dutch).

We only really have one indie school which is an option here. It has no entry requirements and less academic than the others. I have a meeting with the head of this new school on Monday. It is also very close to his current school so it would be easy for him to stay in touch with his friends. Here is hoping we like the school and the school likes us!!!

Many thanks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now