How to afford it

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zorro

Post by zorro »

I suppose if your children have gone to private primary and then straight on to private secondary then they might take these opportunities for granted . I feel that because my son went to a little state primary he is overwhelmed with the fantastic opportunities now available and really appreciates them and takes advantage of them.
He went to tennis lessons, guitar lessons and drama whilst at primary so wasn't deprived of extra-curricular activities but as you say the children at these activities tended to be from the same background, regardless of which primary school they went to.
Surely at grammar schools there is also a wide range of activities available?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I must admit I am intrigued over how people afford school fees. It seems to me there must be huge numbers of people who earn too much to qualify for a bursary, but for whom finding an extra grand or so a month must be impossible. I have two children at GS and am anxiously awaiting results for DS3. We would go down the independent route if need be (though DH doesn't know this yet :wink: ) but the thought of finding and handing over £10-12k pa fills me with horror. It seems to me from reading this section that there are lots of fairly ordinary folks out there with children at independents. But how do they manage to scrape together the necessary funds?! If I understand correctly, bursaries just take account of income, not how big your mortgage is or how many other children you might have?

My DH earns what I consider to be a good salary and I work part-time so I'm quite sure we wouldn't qualify for a bursary. But, we have a mortgage and two other children who, although we don't pay for their education, cost an arm and a leg in terms of clothing/feeding/music lessons/school trips/sports equipment etc. We'd be hard-pushed to find an extra fiver some months!

Like testbuster, my mum has offered to step in if necessary and I would reluctantly accept her offer. But, am I missing something here? Is there a way of meeting school fees that I haven't thought of?! Do people just start saving early, borrow, manage to cut back to the tune of £1k per month or what??!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

I can only speak from personal experience but we live in an ordinary 3 bed detatched house and only run 1 car. We only have to pay one set of fees as DD goes to a special school as she has learning difficulties. We go on one family holiday per year and don't wear designer clothes. I know people whose children go to the local comp - they go on several holidays a year, run 2 new cars and are never seen twice in the same outfit.
I think it's down to priorities in some cases.
Also for independents , some children get partial or full scholarships for music, sport , art as well as academic excellence.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Thea wrote: but because we see the benefits he is getting NOW - a fabulous, rounded educuation with lots of sport and extra curricular opportunities, with lively, happy and bright other children, and enthusiastic and inspiring teachers.
This is exactly what I feel my children are getting at GS!
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

zorro wrote:I can only speak from personal experience but we live in an ordinary 3 bed detatched house
A detached house in Barnet is worth a lot more than designer clothes and family holidays, though, however ordinary it is :D

But I know what you mean. :)
zorro

Post by zorro »

We bought our house 16 yrs ago so have a small mortgage thankfully but we don't have leather sofas , gigantic plasma screen TV's etc etc - you get my drift .It really is all relative isn't it - our house might seem big to some people but it feels tiny compared to some of our friends's houses. The moral is be grateful for what you've got! :wink:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The thing about this inde section is on the whole it is made up of first time buyers which is why we seem down to earth (I won't use the term normal)! But being down to earth doesn't necessarily mean that person has an average or good income - they could have a massive income. Some also choose to prioritise private education over owning a house, having a decent car or going on holidays.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Hmmm - I get the impression some of you think I'm some sort of spendthrift with a huge house, 3 cars on the drive and an expensive foreign holiday habit!! House is very ordinary, we've been abroad twice as a family in 15 years, nobody is interested in designer clothes (in fact boys aren't interested in clothes or footwear full stop) and DH and I hardly ever go out.

We do eat well which I guess some would count as an extravagance (though at home, not out). And we do spend around £250 a month on four lots of music lessons (one for me which I guess some might frown on...). I suppose some might think the labrador is fairly high-maintenance with her special diet and tendency towards ear infections. But I honestly can't think of anything else we do which anyone could class as extravagant! Certainly can't think of how we could find £1k a month without some sort of assistance!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

No one said you had these things BM, I just said that is how some people afford school fees and others afford them because they earn loads.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I wasn't referring to your post Tipsy.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now