Computer based entrance tests

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ellie

Computer based entrance tests

Post by Ellie »

One of the girls schools in the North London Consortium that we are considering has introduced a new computer based entrance test. The test will be taken at the school in November. A further maths and English exam will be taken in early January.

The school say that there are no past papers and that no preparation is needed.

1. Does anyone know about these types of tests?
2. Is the test used to reduce the number of children eligible to take the January exam?
Thea

Post by Thea »

Ellie - cannot help on the prep side, but they are intended to reduce the numbers taking the exams that need to be marked, which takes time and costs more - eg Maths & English, and also to manage the exectation of those children who are effectively 'weeded out' by the VR test'
Best Regards,
Thea
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Hi
The do these sorts of tests at Rugby and that particular one is by CEM. According to the registrar at Rugby they now have an example of what their test is like online, although I've not checked it out yet.

Certainly the test that my son did guages the aptitude of the testee (!) and makes the questions easier/harder dependent upon the previous answer. He ended up choosing to get one wrong just to relieve the pressure a bit! It might be worth finding out where your particular test comes from. This is a link to the one that Rugby uses:

http://www.cemcentre.org/
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I assume it's to weed out those that have been heavily coached as the computer test is IQ based but also to see how a child with a high IQ but who hasn't been to a good school get's on putting their ideas down on paper. So, in short, I think they want two pieces of evidence to sift out the wheat from the chaff rather than going purely on an entrance test where children could have been tutored.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Thanks for all the replies. The test is by CEM and I will look at the website.

I have triplets to get into big school this time and all three seem to believe that school places are automatically awarded without any effort on their part. The battles will begin after half term.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh Ellie!! I really feel for you. That's definitely more than triple the stress as I'm sure that you are more than aware of how awful it would be if you didn't have success for all 3.

I only appreciate now how my mother felt trying to get myself and my identical twin through what was then the 12+ in Warwickshire back in 1985. But 3!!!

Do stick around for lots of support in the coming months. We'll keep you sane (ish).

Ed's Mum x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now