10+ or 11+ Common Entrance exams? Or grammar?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Alphamum

10+ or 11+ Common Entrance exams? Or grammar?

Post by Alphamum »

Hi, I wonder if it is easier to get in with the 10+ common entrance exam? I am in dilemma, not sure if I should let DS do the 10+ or wait till 11+? Anyone has any experience or ideas on this?

Ideally I like DS to try grammar but wonder if sitting for a 10+ might be a good "back up" plan, which might mean he could possibly go to indie only for a year then leave to go to local grammar, if he passes. It's just that I personally prefer grammar school and there is one very local to us. If he can get into indie at 10+ then I don't have to push him that hard to go into grammar, as whether he gets in or not, at least he is already in a good indie school. But does this sound cruel or confusing if I take him out after a year to go into grammar? Unless he is happily settled and reluctant to leave, then of course I won't take him out.....

Please could someone give me some ideas or tips...! Thanks so much...!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi alphamum

tricky ... may find indies aren't keen to child in at 10+ if they think that they are going to be busy doing exams straight away and potentially leaving. On the other hand they may not mind and see it as a challenge to get you to stay.!

In Yorkshire some of the GS comes from a middle school so they have just ine year there, think they settle in OK ... few get fed up with travelling and return to middle school :oops:
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

I guess it depends on the financial implications of staying in indie education or the huge financial relief of being in GS and saving money for uni etc. How does your child feel about the local GS? There may well be other parents who only keep their child in the indie for a year due to financial reasons prefer a GS. I am sure you would not be the only one doing this. I dont think the recession is over yet!
Thisismadness

grammars versus indie at 10+

Post by Thisismadness »

Only thing to watch out for (as happened to a friend of mine but it may vary by area) is whether the indies make your child re-take their entrance exam if they apply for a grammar exam at 11. My friend's child went to an independent school having passed 10+, but the school said that if he took the Tiffin exam (which is on a weekday so you can't get around it!) he would have to take their 11+ exam - ie enter again. As that seemed a horrible prospect, he stayed at the independent (and is loving it).
hermanmunster

Re: grammars versus indie at 10+

Post by hermanmunster »

Thisismadness wrote:Only thing to watch out for (as happened to a friend of mine but it may vary by area) is whether the indies make your child re-take their entrance exam if they apply for a grammar exam at 11. My friend's child went to an independent school having passed 10+, but the school said that if he took the Tiffin exam (which is on a weekday so you can't get around it!) he would have to take their 11+ exam - ie enter again. As that seemed a horrible prospect, he stayed at the independent (and is loving it).
well that's one way of getting them to stay!! seems very mean
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Gosh that seems really harsh. I dont think I would be choosing that school!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I don't think it's fair to the child, the school or another child who could have got a 10+ place if your intention would be to only send your son for one year but it is especially not fair to your child. If you are keen on the GS then wait and sit him for both schools at the same time.

I'm not making any judgements but just giving my opinion. :)

EDIT: Just to add I do not think it is mean to make a child resit the 11+ at the 10+ school. That parent was really messing the school about from the start and that is unfair. You can't have one rule for parents and another rule for the school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mm consensus appears to be don't send 'em at 10+ if you aren't going to leave 'em there
Thisismadness

Post by Thisismadness »

I have to say I agree with Tipsy. The other thing is that (certainly where we are) the grammar school is much harder to get into than the indies - getting into the grammar seems to be more on a par with getting a scholarship to one of the indies, in which case, if you feel your DS is up to the academic level of a grammar, he should easily pass the 11+ into an indie (but again it obviously depends on where you are). Just in case you want to avoid it, that mean independent was Kingston Grammar School (not a grammar school confusingly, but a private one!)
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Yes this is confusing. Why do they still call it Kingston Grammar? Hampton dropped the Grammar out of their name....