Help needed for unaided writing practice.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I wish DS didn't need prepared. He is **** at English and I mean really bad. Must have smashed the VR and Maths then as I know he didn't even finish the English questions at Westminster. :?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Freya, did your son not get an academic scholarship too or have I just made that up? :oops:
Freya

Post by Freya »

Tipsy - yes, well remembered! He was offered a sports and academic scholarship by one school but the school we accepted just offered a sports scholarship.

Exams at the school offering the academic scholarship were: maths, english, NVR. We did basic familiarisation on the NVR and were lucky I think - it must have clicked. There were also some tricky questions in the interview!

At the school that just offered the sports scholarship it was: maths, english and VR. We were expecting NVR again and only found out it was in fact VR with a couple of days to go. :shock: So poor DS did the VR with no real practice beforehand. Interview was more of an informal chat.

Actually I'm glad we didn't accept the school with the academic scholarship as I don't like the idea that it could be taken away if work drops below a certain standard.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sometimes a school only offers one scholarship so another pupil can get one, so DS may have been academic scholarship standard but they only offered him one.
Freya

Post by Freya »

Mmmmm good point but at DS's school there are kids on double scholarships - academic + music for example. I have a feeling that DS was given what would amount to a double sports scholarship. He is the only sports scholar in his year.

Thanks for positive comment about DS's academic ability though! Where are you at with your DC now? Haven't heard any updates lately??

Oops sorry to OP for veering OT
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

My eldest DD took the London girls' school consortium exam last year and the children were presented with part of a story with lots of characters. They had to pretend that they were the main character and finish the story in the first person.

My dd found the exam fairly straightforward as she loves reading and writing stories. As for the triplets, if they were as good at story writing as they are at arguing and trying to wear my high heeled shoes I would have 3 geniuses on my hands.
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:
On the morning of the actual test we decided on " A woman of Amazonian proportions ". When I picked her up she was beaming, she had managed to include the phrase.
In the run up to DD1's entrance exams I became that woman...and still am!
mad?
blue

Post by blue »

Just want to say thanks to everyone for such great advice and tips! It is much appreciated.
:D
blue

Post by blue »

Just want to say thanks to everyone for such great advice and tips! It is much appreciated.
:D
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

just make sure they know how to set out a letter properly also, just incase they set a letter as they did in the medway test. where to put addresses, how to construct it etc.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now