Applying for academic scholarship at present school ( 13+ )

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zorro

Applying for academic scholarship at present school ( 13+ )

Post by zorro »

Following recent gradings and Parent's Evening we have been advised to enter DS for all round academic scholarship at his school for Y9. He is currently in Y8 . They have internal exams in January and these results will be used to decide.
Has anyone's DC been successful at this or do you know of anyone at your children's schools ?
I suppose we haven't really got anything to lose but I am a bit worried DS might be upset if he doesn't get it. Then again ,I suppose the teachers must know whether he is capable of achieving it and wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.
Any advice gratefully received!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Zorro

I think that's the key I am sure that they wouldn't suggest it unless there was a good chance, they won't want a disappointed kid either.
fm

Post by fm »

The fact that he might get a bit upset should not deter you. I think we spend too much time these days, trying to guard our children from disappointment which may make it harder for them to cope with more serious disappointments later in life.
zorro

Post by zorro »

You're right! But I think he should keep it to himself .
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Fabulous news that DS is doing so well and obviously thriving at Aldenham. Even if he doesn't get it to have been invited to apply is a real honour. Tell him the competition is stiff and there will be a lot of applicants but how proud you are at how hard he has worked since joining the school. :D
zorro

Post by zorro »

Thanks!
He is most worried about French! Mind you - having heard his accent I'm not surprised!!! :lol:
Freya

Post by Freya »

Zorro - Congratulations to your son! :lol: :lol:

What an honour to have been invited to apply for the scholarship! Don't worry too much about him being upset if unsuccessful - a little disappointment would be natural but it is these opportunities and associated outcomes that will build the man he will become. The important thing is to grasp that opportunity with both hands and give it his best shot. We always say to our DS: "no one can be let down if you try your best".

Good Luck to master Zorro! Looking forward to your update in January informing us all of his success!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Thanks Freya !
DS thinks that if he passes and saves his dad some money on fees - he's in with a chance of getting a new phone!! :lol: Talk about ulterior motive!
Freya

Post by Freya »

Love it! See he has the right attitude there! Our DS has a similarly wired brain! LOL
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Zorro - well done to your DS, I'm sure it's a reflection on how well he's doing, and whatever happens on the day, it's a honour to have been asked. Our daughter (y8) has also been asked to apply for a 13+ scholarship, but the old cynic in me says that might be partly because she's sat the entrance exam for the school her brother has just started at (waiting, like FTB)...although she did get an academic achievement award last year. Like you, I don't want her disappointed, but she's adopted the attitude of 'nothing ventured - nothing gained'...long may it last!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now