Applying for academic scholarship at present school ( 13+ )

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well that sounds even more positive and potentially he only has to beat the other internal applicants.
zorro

Post by zorro »

No, I think he will also be up against the external candidates although they have a different paper.
Scholarship exams are taken at the same time as Y8 are sitting their internal exams so maybe they have a lot of the same material.
Aldenham do their own entrance exam, not Common Entrance.
another mother

Post by another mother »

DD1 has just sat for sixth form scholarship at her school - and for a scholarship at another one. So did half the year I think, plus heaps from outside - the chances are so slim she has seemed totally unpressured by it - certainly in comparison to any entrance exams in the past or indeed public exams. It's all good experience - and has been helpful in terms of clarifying A level choices. They were also told that there was little prep they could do for it, which wasn't necessarily true as it turned out, but did mean it didn't interfere with halfterm! Hurrah.
(it would of course be wonderful to get but as she said, look at the competition).
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Go for it - if your son wants to have a try then he should.

Of course there is no guarantee, and I would hate for your son to feel knocked back if the result is not favourable. However, the school has suggested that he try and he should take that as a huge compliment!!

I hope he feels really proud of himself!

The lady getting closer to Warwickshire say 'yes!' (Remember that advert for fruit juice?)
Thea

Post by Thea »

Ed's mum - yes I do! (Although the mantra in our house nowadays is 'yes we can!' :lol:
Best Regards,
Thea
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now