Solihull, KES, Bromsgrove tests

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BB248

Solihull, KES, Bromsgrove tests

Post by BB248 »

Are there any "old hands" out there with any tips re the Jan exams for these Midlands schools? Just dealt with the grammar tests and mind now turning to Phase 2, the big January push!

Many thanks!
BB248

Post by BB248 »

NOBODY with any words of wisdom? :( Nobody from Birmingham been through this? :?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

sent you a pm
BB248

Post by BB248 »

thank you!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I would try on the county section if you haven't done so already.
fm

Post by fm »

Essay: Not usually a choice. Could be a given title or to finish the comprehension story.

Comprehension: traditional with answers in sentences rather than multiple choice

Verbal Reasoning: not quite like Bishop Vesey's in that there doesn't tend to be groups of questions, more a couple of each. Certainly not written by NFER or confined to 21 types. Doing as many varieties as you can find would probably be better than more repetitive NFER tests.

Maths: Basic arithmetic questions, followed by longer, more problematic questions, followed by very difficult questions which are there to sort out the men from the boys (or at least the potential scholarship children). Not so time pressured as KE and I'd say testing their general mathematical competence rather than any high ability, apart from the scholarship ones which only the best will manage. Unless you have a brilliant mathematician my advice would be to do at a measured pace, ensuring they get the first two levels right, without necessarily worrying about tackling the whole paper. Better to spend an extra 5 minutes ensuring their arithmetic is totally accurate rather than spend it on a question which they find totally impossible.
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Great advice fm, as always, esp re tactics for maths paper. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you
TraineeDad

Post by TraineeDad »

Hi BB248

Solihull:
You should have been sent a sample paper from Solihull when they confirm your application. My son found this the hardest of all the tests inc KEGs & KES. The maths is in 3 sections and the last section is v. hard

Also the comprehension is tricky as well - alot of 'inference' type questions.

KES:
3 papers: VR (mean't to be NFER style), English (Essay & Comp) - my son took it 2 yrs ago and said there were several essay choices.
Maths - mainly ok but last section as fm said is mean't for the scholarship boys...
Regards

TraineeDad
fm

Post by fm »

Yes, I had the feedback that the Solihull paper was harder. Certainly my state school pupils usually struggle with the Shakespeare they have recently been including. I feel their paper is definitely favouring the children who are already receiving a superior education and including nothing, such as non-verbal or verbal reasoning, which might search for raw potential.

That said, I have had a pupil pass this paper whom I definitely wouldn't expect to pass KES, had she done it (and did not pass KEHS), so the hardness of the paper may be balanced by a lower pass score.
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Traineedad & fm

Thanks both for inciteful comments
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now