The Grammar School Leeds entrance exam.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hi Ami

Yes, we are allowed to express opinions on this site, but as with anything I suspect it shouldn't be libellous :lol: :lol:

Quenn Ethelburghas doesn't have an entrance exam and takes in a wide spectrum of abilities. From hearsay it has fabulous facilities (eg: equestrian) and as an added bonus you get the first term free! - depening upon where you live it could be a bit of a hike though (but they do run buses if you're on their route).

Don't know much about the Ladies' College, but someone may come along and tell you about it.

We loved Ashville and it was where DD would have gone had we not been offered a place at RGS.

Whereabouts are you? Are you trying for RGS too? You can pm me with the details if you like.
ami

Post by ami »

Hi Snowdrops,

Sorry to sound so dumb but pray tell what is pm?

Ami
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Have you visited any on their Open Days yet?

You may find once you get to the establishments that DD doesn't actually like them.

My dd felt overwhelmed with GSAL after visiting twice and Ashville she felt was very homely, it is I think the smallest of all the independents and certainly we felt they already knew us after a couple of visits (with GSAL we always felt dd would be a number rather than a person/pupil wrongly or rightly).

I'd advise getting DD to actually visit all the establishments and even RGS (if you're looking along those lines too) - don't worry about it being way past their Open Day (last July) we went round in October last year having missed the Open Day and had a one to one tour with two sixth formers (strange wording but I'm sure you know what I mean :lol: ).
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry, pm is a personal message.

Look in the bottom left hand corner of this message and you'll see a little box with 'pm' on it, click it and you will get a box up where you can write a message that only I will see - hence you can tell me whereabouts you are (or anything else) and no-one else will see/know it.
ami

Post by ami »

Hi Snowdrops I have sent you a pm (I think!) If you haven't got it let me know
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

No pm Ami :cry:

Try again :)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Ami, I've pm'ed you - scroll right down to the bottom of the page, you'll see a box telling you you have a message, click on that.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Received and answered now Ami :D
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

These schools are all independent and you may get more replies on the independent school thread. I do not think that there is a specific catchment area for LGS.
kub13

Re: The Grammar School Leeds entrance exam.

Post by kub13 »

Hello
we are currently living in Austria and we will live in Leeds for 6 months, Sep 2017-Feb 2018, and bringing three school age kids (currently in year 2, year 6, year 8). We consider The Grammar School in Leeds and the kids will have assessments/exams soon. We are a bit worried about this.

Does anyone know what to expect? The older two are already in `Gymnasium' here in Austria, this is secondary school. Their school is an international bilingual school (with English). Hopefully, they will be prepared for this.
Our worry is more for the youngest one. She doesn't really know English yet and we were told that for the assessment she should be able to understand/read English.

Does anyone know how much weight the test has? Her school record is excellent and the school wrote a very nice recommendation letter, she is top in Maths. But of course, she will not be able to understand instructions in English, even less writing anything in English.

Any hints would be helpful
Karin
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now