New and it is all too much!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Hector wrote:For now on that front I've done my bit
You do need to establish the economics otherwise the whole application thing will be a bit pointless.

Scholarships are mostly of low value (10%) with some exceptions;

Bursaries are on the other hand are able to provide more assistance but are often based on a sliding scale of income. The assistance rapidly becomes zero as the threshold is reached; for those well under the threshold significant assistance may well be available.
Animis opibusque parati
moved

Post by moved »

Have sent you a pm regarding salary and level of bursary that can be available.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Moving, thank-you for your pm. It has certainly given me food for thought and some hope.
As to bursary scales from the schools, they all just say apply and we'll assess you. The paperwork seems to imply that anything earned over £16k ish will mean paying something and how quickly parental contribution rises with parental income isn't given. Or have I been missing something generally? Everywhere seems to vary so much and in each situation from what I read.
Yes SLVE, you're right,I should like to know whether we can manage it financially before DD has her hopes raised, but I just don't see how the system allows that.
Ed's Mum, she would have to satisfy academically before any bursary. That is yet another of my worries as such a short time to get to grips with all. However, my gut feeling is that she is of GS standard, probably sitting in the middle of the pack there (if you see my theoritical classroom!).
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hector,
Welcome :D .My advice to you is that you "bite the bullet" and pm someone who might knows about your area.Apart from the supremely selective schools like Eton/Westminster etc, indep schools tend not to be as selective as super selective grammars which take the top 5% only.Children tend to be incredibly prepped for these but there are always bright exceptions.
In the area we used to live in (Surrey).There is some level of bursary available right up to 70k income. :shock: You have to put your feet in to find the temperature locally.Pm someone or ask the schools.You have nothing to lose.
Good luck :D
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Hector wrote:...but I just don't see how the system allows that.
You need to have a frank discussion with the Admissions secretary at the school(s) concerned. The rules will be documented but will probably only me made available on direct application. Even then there may be some degree of discretion. The sooner the better.
Animis opibusque parati
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed with others, apart from a few schools I don't think many independents are super selective - in fact quite a few are struggling to fill slots - partic in GS areas or where there are several schools around.

Good luck with it all.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

For every independent school that is quite selective there is one that isn't.

There is quite a demand for schools that are relatively small but are able to offer small group and one to one tuition for students who are perhaps not the most academic or maybe would prefer a more intimate environment. As these schools are smaller and don't shout about their exam results so much they are often lower profile and you may need to do some homework to hunt them out.

FYI-The majority of remaining grammar schools in GB (in fact England they are extinct in Scotland and Wales though interestingly few would claim that the English state education system is better than either of theirs) are not super-selective and cater for maybe the top 25%.
sweetviolet

Post by sweetviolet »

I would be happy to answer any questions you have via PM if you would prefer - about my experiences re bursaries/scholarships. Ed's Mum

Hi my DS has sat the Grammars but because we thought it would be a good idea to sit some indies - he will be sitting two in West London.

I was hoping to apply to the schools with the hope that if he does well (you never know) we could try the scholarship / bursary route. I would be interested to know how we can go about this route if you would pm me or just add to the forum. Thanks. :?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Sweet Violet, the first thing you need to do is make contact with the schools in question. Most likely to be the registrar, for admissions, and the bursar for means tested bursaries.

Make a speculative call and listen to their advice - they'll have heard it all many times before and will know exactly how to deal with your enquiries.