Reading Blue Coat interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

btonki

Reading Blue Coat interview

Post by btonki »

My DS is going for his interview for a September place soon. Does anyone know what will be talked about at the interview? Will there be time for parents to ask questions, or will it all be focused on DS?

Also, any info re the school would be greatly appreciated. I know it it has an excellent reputation, but would love to know from an ex pupil/ current parent what the ethos is etc. Please feel free to PM.

Thanks
Blueboymum

Post by Blueboymum »

Bluecoat is really an excellent school, my son is in year 7 and is extremely happy. From being very quiet and shy he has grown into a confident boy. The students are encouraged in all aspects of education and whether they are sporty, musical or have other talents these are all developed. As parents we were quite nervous about the interview but I would advise that you try not to say too much, they are trying to find out about your son and how he will fit into their ethos so it might feel as though the "tumbleweed is rolling" but try not to interrupt or pre-empt questions. Make sure that your son has extra-curricular interests to talk about and it helps if he has a school badge on ie school council to talk about. They will ask about favourite and not so favourite subjects as well. Is there are preference for a language (you have to study French and either/or Spanish or German) and why would they choose that language. Have a chat with your current school's teacher as I think the reference does make a big difference. Last year they had the highest number of entrants for the exam. If you would like any info on that then let me know. I hope that this is useful - this is my first ever post :D
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

In these 10 or so minute interviews why do some independent schools ask the child where else they are applying to? Why use valuable time on such a question when they could be asking others to understand the interests and personality of the child in front of them
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

You always have so many questions ealingmum but it may be best if you ask the schools directly. :lol:
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

ealingmum wrote:In these 10 or so minute interviews why do some independent schools ask the child where else they are applying to? Why use valuable time on such a question when they could be asking others to understand the interests and personality of the child in front of them
My DS attended 4 interviews last year and was not asked this question. Perhaps you should ask the schools your DC has sat interviews for why they are asking this if it is truly concerning you. Also the interiews that my DS had never lasted less than 30mins., two lasted for about an hour.....10mins does seem rather quick to be able to really get to know your child. Was your DC successful at interview? Have you heard yet?
stevew61

Re: Reading Blue Coat interview

Post by stevew61 »

btonki wrote:My DS is going for his interview for a September place soon.
I wouldn't worry about the interview (easier said than done :) ) look at it as an extra chance to score some exam points.

I was looking at the Blue Coat web site yesterday and they are looking for boys who are "above average."

I will send you some more thoughts by PM.

Good luck.

steve
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

btonki I have pm'd you
btonki

Post by btonki »

Thanks guys - I'm hectic at the moment, so that is why I haven't replied, but I promise that I will reply personally to all pms.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now