ESSEX INDEPENDENTS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mummy22

ESSEX INDEPENDENTS

Post by Mummy22 »

Just wondered if anyone has any info on any essex independent schools ? We are currently at an independent prep in Chelmsford, Year 6, and are applying for senior schools to............ New Hall, Brentwood, Both Colchester Schools , St Johns , SO Anyone with any advice from previous years or also applying this year ?

Thanks
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi Mummy 22,
You have had lots of people read your question but no answers :cry:
I can't directly help you as we went down the grammar route and didn't apply to independent schools.
I do know parents and children at New Hall and Brentwood who are very happy in both cases but I suspect you want more detailed info.I know people at Felsted too.
Perhaps you should post your question in the Essex section? Some of the parents whose children have just done the 11+ are also taking Indep entrance exams.You might get the answers you seek there.
Some people don't dare venture into this section...... :wink:
moved

Post by moved »

Hi, I do not have personal experience of the schools mentioned, but I have tutored children who are at Brentwood, New Hall and Felsted.

DD sat for Felsted last year. We liked it very much and I would have sent her there had she not gone to CCHS. I looked at Brentwood as well, but it did not have the right feel for us, although the facilities were spectacular. We chose Felsted over New Hall as we already knew people there and we preferred the Head!

Felsted and New Hall are less selective than Brentwood, although the entrance exam is similar to the 11+.

Many of my pupils sit/have sat the Brentwood exam as a back up for the 11+. The children that I have tutored in previous years are very happy there and music is very strong.

To be of scholarship level at either Brentwood or Felsted you need to be a similar level to the children entering the Chelmsford Grammars.

Out of the three I felt that Felsted had a more old fashioned feel, in a good way, values, manners, behaviour, etc.

I am sure that someone in the Essex section will also be able to help you more.
KB

Post by KB »

Hi
I am guessing you have a daughter & mean St Mary's & Colchester High School?
I would not rate either of these in the same bracket as Brentwood, Felsted etc. They are not really 'selective' (close proximity to excellent super selective state schools & more academic Independents in Ipswich & Chelmsford) & do not have great facilities. Would describe them as 'local private school' - better option for local children than catchment state senior school in many cases where parents have limited funds/dont want children to travel - smaller classes, focus on individual, higher standards of behaviour expected, limited but some extra curricular activities...
I dont mean to upset anyone with children at these schools - I know lots of people are very happy with them & their children are do well there but it in my opinion it would be misleading to compare them with some of the more expensive 'Independents' that are more selective & excel in areas such as music, games etc. A but like comparing a local Independent with a major Public school - fulfiling different needs.
A significant number of families from the Colchester area send their children to Suffolk Independents rather than the local fee paying senior schools.
Hope this helps & isn't too controversial!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I also have no knowledge of reputation of either Colchester High or St Marys but it may be a consideration that neither has a sixth form.
KB

Post by KB »

I think the more academic from these schools transfer to the Sixth Form at either of the two selective state schools very close by or otherwise go to the Sixth Form College. I do know of one or two who moved to Independent schools in Ipswich for Sixth Form.
But I do think that not having a Sixth Form does impact on the rest of the school.
Mummy22

Post by Mummy22 »

Thank you all for your replys, I will also try posting on the Essex Forum as some of you have suggested. Some interesting comments so far, and I hadnt really got as far as thinking about the 6th form ! and where the girls may go on from there ?
KB

Post by KB »

I dont think its just about where they go on to for the 6th form if there isn't one at the school but also about the difference it makes to the whole school. For example, there may be facilities that are funded by & provided for A level students that are available for the rest of the school to use;more academic teachers may prefer schools where they have the opportunity to teach to A level...
moved

Post by moved »

I do agree about the funding, but I am not convinced about the teachers. I work in a 3-16 school, that mainly caters for non-academic children. I think that we have an erudite, highly educated staff. Although, if I am honest, I would prefer to have some A-level teaching!
KB

Post by KB »

Didn't mean to offend anyone! More about different than better - teachers who are good at teaching subject to higher academic level aren't necessarily the best at teaching younger/less able children but if you have a very academic child they may do better in a school where there are teachers who are used to teaching the subject at a higher level,particularly by GCSE. On the other hand, as you suggest, maybe those who don't get much chance to work with children at a higher level might enjoy the opportunity to stretch a more able child.
Just points to consider when making choices :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now