Surbiton High School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

I forgot to say in reply to an earlier post, that the SHS 'Second Entrance Exam' is not simply because the school may not be full! In fact it fulfils a very useful function - consider its timing, if you will - not long after the GS results come out!

In this area, there are many complacent parents who, asked where their DD is going, will reply 'Oh, Nonsuch, of course!' or 'Wallington, where else?' And their DDs will constantly say, in year 6, 'When I'm at Nonsuch' and 'When I go to Wallington.' Needless to say, many of these get a thumping shock when their DD does not make the grade, and then run in terror to the private sector.

SHS brought in the 2nd test when my friend was teaching there - she was amazed at how many parents had not entered their child the first time around, and how many had been positive that Nonsuch was the only place - they had no fall-back at all, with many having simply put 'Nonsuch' in each space of the application form - not one other school.
SWmum

Post by SWmum »

Thanks for the reply, it certainly makes me feel better, dd was happy with how the interview went. Regards to looking for level 5 in year 6, do they contact the school to ask what her expected levels are? in optional sats at end of yr 5 she had 5s and 4a, but have no results to date for yr 6.
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

My daughter sat the SHS test today and when I collecetd her I asked how many sat the test. I was told there were 170 girls there today and others who had been ill would be sitting it at a later date. Results are expected end Jan/beg Feb. Thank you huntlie for all your insights into SHS - very useful.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

SWmum - usually they ask for both her levels from Year 5 & estimate year 6. With 5s and 4a she should have nothing to worry about!
SWmum

Post by SWmum »

Huntlie thanks for sharing your knowledge - will wait and see what happens. She is also sitting Wimbledon High next week - but agree with previous posts that it is harder to get in to.