Did anyone else's ds sit the Whitgift exam today?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nissi

Post by nissi »

I really feel for you LazyDaisy.I felt like that all last week before the interview letter and music audition call came through from Whitgift :) . I think I have used up all my adrenaline now though and am just tired out! I have now decided to concentrate on trying to help my DS2, though heaven knows how :lol: !!
No we haven't heard from Trinity yet- would expect to hear next week I suppose....
nissi

Post by nissi »

Hi folks, just thought I'd let you all know that we have heard from Trinity now and have an nterview on 29th :)

LazyDaisy
Has your DS done his Whitgift interview yet? If so, what was it like? I am more worried about our (ie parents) interview than DS's! Have you heard from Trinity?
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Hi nissi,
ds has his Trinity interview on the 29th too!!!! :D

No, he hasn't had his Whitgift interview yet - I'm dreading the parents one as well :oops: .

Well done to your ds on getting his interviews - fingers and toes crossed for him (and my ds of course! :D ).
nissi

Post by nissi »

Great news LazyDaisy. so pleased for you and your clever DS- everything crossed for the 29th! :D
I have to start my DS2 down the 11 plus route now. Has there been anything - books/ resources that have worked particularly well for you ( or any one else please) with DS?
Scared DS2 won't get in to a selective school and local schools don't bear thinking about.... :(

Did you tutor or DIY?
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

I used the Susan Daughty "How to do Verbal Reasoning" books but other than that I used free 11+ papers available on independent school websites.

I wouldn't claim to be an expert - I think he's made it this far by the skin of his teeth :) .
nissi

Post by nissi »

DS1and I had the Whitgift interview today. So glad it's all over (well, nearly) Was told he did particularly well in the maths and reasoning papers so keeping all crossed for a scholrship.... :)
Thanks LazyDaisy, will try the books with DS2 (groan)
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Well done to your ds, nissi, and fingers crossed for a scholarship for him!! :D

That's something we certainly won't be expecting for ds - in fact, it will be astonishing if he gets a place!
Alice Wonder

10+ Entrance exams

Post by Alice Wonder »

Hello,

I have been reading your comments with interest as I am in the same boat all though my DS sat the 10+ for Trinity & Whitgift and has gone for sports scholarships.

I'm hoping to avoid the trauma of yr6-7 secondary transfer and the prospect of my DS not getting a place at one of the state secondary schools that I think are suitable. It would be great if he did not have to sit a whole series of tests at numerous schools - i'm stressed enough with him just having gone for two schools this year.

I'm just waiting now anxiously concerned as to what offer if any he will get from either school.

Sorry if I missed it but does anyone know what the pass mark is and how high you have to score to achieve an academic scholarship?

Do the schools ever actually tell you what marks your DS achieved in their entance exam?
Cheshire Cat
nissi

Post by nissi »

Welcome Alice Wonder :)

I really wish I had thought of the 10+....

I don't think the indies reveal their pass marks. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of the entrance exams and the possibly a proportion of the best scoring papers are offered a scholarship. Having said that, if the standard isn't high enough I've heard they are quite happy not to award any scholarships! We were told at interview that DS did very well on the maths paper( one of the top 10) but his English was average.

TBH I don't know exactly what the criteria are academically for Whitgift and Trinity. We just have to wait and see what if anything is offered scholarship-wise :evil: :evil:

Good luck to you and your DS :D
Please keep us posted

In hope of excellent news on the 19th.... :)
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I think it is very variable what Whitgift & Trinity offer by way of academic scholarships and to some extent reflects how likely they think you are to take the place anyway.

My eldest ds was offered large academic scholarship by Whitgift as I think they decided we wouldn't take the place if they didn't. We were told eldest ds had got maximum possible marks on VR at Trinity and how well generally he had done in the exam, but scholarship offered was considerably smaller than Whitgift.

One of my other ds got the highest mark in the English paper we were told at interview(and was given full marks as I could read the results upside down!) and did not get a scholarship-although we had told them it was the only school we were applying to so I think they thought he was a sure thing.

So sorry but it is really hard to predict. Anecdotally I think they give more away at 10+.

Good luck
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now