City of London School for Girls + Universities

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

surfcrazy

City of London School for Girls + Universities

Post by surfcrazy »

Does anyone have any idea why CLGS loses so many girls post GCSE? There are apparently 96 girls (or thereabouts) at 11+, plus a further intake of circa 30 to 6th form. Having checked destinations 2009, only 64 girls are recorded and 70 at A level in parent power. I have asked this question at the open day and felt the answer about the desire for co-ed education cannot possibly be the full picture. I would be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this,as my daughter seems quite keen on this school and I quite simply dont get it!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Another mother may be along soon as she had this dilemma recently. Co-ed is a major factor - bigger than you may realise - and a paranoia that if one leaves they all should. IMO the other schools that the girls go onto are inferior to CLGS except for Westminster, but the competition is so fierce for that school that only a select few get in. There has also been a move recently to state schools in the sixth form because of the tightening of Oxbridge letting in independent school pupils. CLGS still maintains one of it's highest acceptance rates to Oxbridge for a girls school in the country except for St Paul's, Wycombe Abbey and NLCS so it is still one of the best girls schools in the country.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Surfcrazy, I agree with Tipsy, a lot of girls (and their parents) switch to co-ed at 16. Some girls have simply had enough of being in an all girl environment by the time they get to 16 and this applies to girl's schools generally not just CLSG.

CLSG is a great school, my dd (year 7) loves it there and is working hard and has made lots of new friends, has joined lots of extra curricular clubs and is busy trying to save the world!
asha

CLSG

Post by asha »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: CLGS still maintains one of it's highest acceptance rates to Oxbridge for a girls school in the country except for St Paul's, Wycombe Abbey and NLCS so it is still one of the best girls schools in the country.
With all due respect, Tipsy CLSG's acceptance rates to Oxbridge is way lower than St Paul's Girls' and NLCS. I had a look at last year's leavers' destinations and only 14 went to Oxbridge. Its Oxbridge acceptances is more on par with Godolphin & Latymer, where the same number went to Oxbridge but G&L also had spectacular success with US colleges (three to Stanford and two to Harvard amongst others).
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Asha, there are very few girls schools that maintain a 20-25% acceptance rate to Oxbridge and close to 32% if you include the Ivy League universities. I did however mention that St Paul's does better than CLGS but as not everyone's world revolves around London schools I didn't mention NLCS which is on a par if you include the Ivy League results from CLGS. Also it states in the GSG that only a dozen or so out of 200 from G&L go to Oxbridge - a lower 14%. CLGS is 16-19 out for around 60 pupils so G&L are no where near as successful as CLGS.
asha

Post by asha »

[quote="T.i.p.s.y Also it states in the GSG that only a dozen or so out of 200 from G&L go to Oxbridge - a lower 14%. CLGS is 16-19 out for around 60 pupils so G&L are no where near as successful as CLGS

Tipsy, G&L has only about 90-100 girls studying A Levels, not 200! Last year's figure was for 93 students.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

14 out of 100 is still 14%! :roll:
guest43

Post by guest43 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:not everyone's world revolves around London schools
Amen to that!
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: not everyone's world revolves around London schools
Nor, dare I say it, Oxbridge or the Ivy League.

Depending on the subject, the Holy Grail of study is more likely to be found at Imperial College/Royal College of Music/ Central St Martin's (art school)/one of the major medical schools etc etc.

Having had Oxbridge suggested to me as a possibillity when I was at school, I investigated the courses in my field of interest (Modern Languages) and was underwhelmed by them - they simply didn't provide what I wanted to study.

You don't (or shouldn't) accept a place for the perceived prestige rather than an interest in the course.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Well done Cinnamon and Tipsy for reminding people that Oxbridge (however prestigious and I am not knocking it) is not always the best university for a subject. I really do think people need to consider the subject being studied first and aim for the best University for that subject.

The same for schools - just because a school has an awesome reputation it may not be the right one for your child.

Sorry if that was a bit of an OT rant. Will go back in my shell now!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now