Scholarship exam - Scotland

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nicolette

Scholarship exam - Scotland

Post by Nicolette »

Hi all,

My DS has been invited to sit a scholarship exam next week :D . I'm looking for any advice of what he should expect. He will do two papers on maths and English plus a a group activity.

What levels of math should he expect to see in the test, he is currently working through his level F.

Thanks
sherry_d

Re: Scholarship exam - Scotland

Post by sherry_d »

Its a bit hard saying what the level required is. I have quite a few sample scholarship papers here in England that I have looked at and they vary enormously. Even with a few samples for a school its very difficult to predict the pattern. All I can say is that they are not looking for him to finish it all (great if he does) but he needs to get right what he knows. There is nothing much you can do now but good luck.
Impossible is Nothing.
Nicolette

Post by Nicolette »

Thanks for replying Sherry_d. I agree with what you say and will do a bit of revision with him. The school must think he has a chance or he wouldn't have been invited, I wasn't expecting this so it put my head in a bit of a spin.

I too looked at some English papers and I am amazed at the different levels expected from applicants.

There does not seem to be much information on the net for those north of the border but I'm glad to have found this site.

N
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Nicolette wrote:What levels of math should he expect to see in the test, he is currently working through his level F.

My understanding is that the level of maths is high - I'm going by my nephew's experience, a few years ago, (he won a scholarship at Merchiston Castle; maths being his forte). Even in his last week, he was still revising. Best of luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now