Kingston Grammar/Putney HighSchool/Godolphin/Surbiton

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sunsetbeach

Kingston Grammar/Putney HighSchool/Godolphin/Surbiton

Post by sunsetbeach »

Yippee our clever daughter has got offers at Surbiton, Kingston Grammar school and Putney High, possibly Godolphin and Latymer as well.

Does anyone have daughters at any of these schools who can summarise their thoughts on the atmosphere,ethos etc please.How happy are the girls there?Which is the least stressful and the most fun?

We have been to see the schools and they all seem fine to us! I'm a comprehensive girl after all,and all these schools seem to have great facilities.

How do we choose when we have no instinct about a particular school whatsoever!

Any thoughts appreciated.Thanks!
Sunset beach
showme

Post by showme »

goodness, htat's a big geographical spread ... my first thought is which is going to be easiest for her to get to bearing in mind she'll be doing this 5 days a week for the next 7 years

I'm a G&L alumna (us? long time since I did Latin) and thoroughly enjoyed it = in my day it was certainly the most academic of the schools you've mentioned, but not as pressured as St Paul's for example

which one does your dd prefer?
sunsetbeach

Post by sunsetbeach »

She says she likes them all, and so she can't decide either!

We live in Sheen so fairly equidistant for all of them.We don't know if she has got Godolphin yet, but have definite offers from all the others.

Did you enjoy Godolphin?
Sunset beach
London Supermum

Post by London Supermum »

We are also waiting to hear from Godolphin. I'm curious... you seem confident that your DD will get a place. Is this because she has had good success so far or were you told something at the Godolphin interview?
sunsetbeach

Post by sunsetbeach »

No I am not confident at all.The opposite in fact, as she left out some question!

I just thought that if I am seeking opinions on all the schools, I may as well include G and L as well! Is that your dd's favourite?
Sunset beach
worriedParent

Post by worriedParent »

hi
sunsetbeach

Post by sunsetbeach »

I don't think I'm worried about the academics, as they all seem good.I just want to choose the happiest place.That's what worries me I think!
Sunset beach
worriedParent

Post by worriedParent »

hi
pixelchick10

Post by pixelchick10 »

My DD goes to SHS and we're more than pleased with it - it's got a good atmosphere, gets good results with a great new head, but it's not a pressurised hothouse which is why we chose it for her (and not LEH). Having said that, when we lived in Blackheath, she went to another GDST school BHS - ie in the same group as Putney High - and I really liked that school too. If she/you liked the atmosphere at all of them - then maybe choose the nearest one?? Which is probably PHS if you're in Sheen ... just one direct bus ride away isn't it??
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now