Interview and Spotrs Scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2boydad

Interview and Spotrs Scholarship

Post by 2boydad »

I have interview tomorrow for DS who is also up for a sports scholarship - he is extremely talented at Cricket, Rugby and Football (already having representative honours). The scholarship is extremely important to us (up to 50% can be offered and we could not afford full fees) but what is the protocol ? Do we attempt to bargain citing other offers or should it not be mentioned. The truth is that we desperately prefer this school and would not want to queer the pitch by appearing vulgar !! I have conflicting advice from other parents verbally - so any advice from this forum welcomed.
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Are you, the parent being interviewed, or DS? If it's DS, the award will be based on his performance in the interview, one would have thought....?
2boydad

Post by 2boydad »

He's had his assessment and came top in most disciplines on the day - the interview is for us with the Head
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Very well done your DS :D ...his part is now done. :P ...not had experience of this myself (suspect our interviews have been more informally done...) - someone out here will have done though .Gut feeling is that they want to know that you're the sort of parents they want to welcome into their community (which, of course, you are :lol: ). I don't know how well 'bargaining' would go down :oops: ...they might be interested to know your situation, stability workwise etc, plans for second DC (if one coming on behind). All the very best...and very well done to your young man! :lol:
Freya

Post by Freya »

We have been in a similar situation. You will probably be asked whether you are looking at any other schools, especially if they are interested in your DS due to his excellent performance in the assessments. It would not be vulgar to mention you are considering other schools and to perhaps casually mention how proud you are of him having performed well at all the assessments he has been to. If you could follow this with "but we / DS are particularly interested in your school because of x,y,z" then I think you will have communicated your situation clearly yet sensitively.

Good luck - let us know how you get on!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
2boydad

Post by 2boydad »

Excellent advice all - thanks very much - hope to report good news later
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now