please share experience on Westminster under school test

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

do you think westminster school declared entry criteria genuine?

yes
72%
no
28%

Total votes: 18

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
surfcrazy

Post by surfcrazy »

St Pauls from Colet and both love it. DD (this year), I think may have to have something nearer home and smaller. Just waiting for results so fingers crossed she can get something which suits her. Oddly, I love HB which is almost on doorstep - I never liked this school until recently and I'm not sure that I like it for the right reasons or simply because everyone keeps telling me how difficult it is to get. I do know at the exam that I spoke to several girls (many of whom held multiple scholarships) who had turned down NLC, St Pauls etc.
We also know boys who had to move to Eton at 13 (father's old school), who were really unhappy to move, but who also now love it. I think as parents we can only hope we make the correct decisions and that our children are lucky enough to be given a shot at a decent school - just a shame there isn't more of them!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm glad it's working out. I have always thought St Paul's was harder to get into as it is more over subscribed.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:It's the A'levels that are even more extraordinary with around 90% A's and 99% A/B! :shock: Often lots of schools boast of 80% A/B but then you find under 40% were A's.
Westminister results clearly shows what has been said that A levels are getting easier. I just went and had a look http://www.westminster.org.uk/results/a_level.asp and you can see the year on year on rise in the A grades since 1988

The number of those getting A grades has more than doubled since 1988.

Whats more astonishing they send 85kids to oxbrige out of 191 :cry:
cy11plus

please share experience on Westminster under school test

Post by cy11plus »

thank you all so much. I now have a better view on the matter. you are right boys can perform different on different circumstances. I guess my son was very nerves on the westminster's test day as that was the one he wanted most. also, maybe down to of my naive - his current school was so 'boring' to him and I don't know what sets of knowledge(math and english) he needed for westninster tests preparation. only things I did was providing him with books from bookshops (mainly bond's books) and do homeworks. He said westminster's English was easy for him but math not familiar.

it now appeared to me he may never be exposed to a right set of knowledge like westninster's before. maybe nerves and unfamiliarity also let him down.

if any of you can shine some light on me of what sort books and external tutions suit for future westminster's, it will be really helpful.

many thanks for all feebback. :idea:
guardian
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I did not tutor my son, nor did the school so I cannot help you on this.
Dora

Post by Dora »

Westminster - DS said Maths and English papers were ok and the VR was quite easy. Had the interview last week.
City interview tomorrow.
Fingers crossed.
11+groupie

Post by 11+groupie »

Dora or anyone else, what would be good preparation for Westminister?

I wonder if its one of those schools that puts a lot of emphasis on the Maths result? :roll:
Dora

Post by Dora »

Westminster does not release past papers for the 11+ but an example of an English paper is available during open days which gives you an idea.
DS just practised past papers provided by the other indies we were applying for and hoped they would be good enough for Westminster. We were lucky it worked.
DS has been a keen Reader since very young which has improved his vocab and loves reading biographies, historical and scientific books.

I will send you a PM.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

My son sat the Westminster under School previously. What I noticed is that at the 11+ exam two teachers invigilated each small group of boys. From what my son said they spoke a lot to the children, asked challenging questions etc. I suspect this was in part an informal interview and a way of selecting real potential. I honestly don't think you can prepare for the Westminster exam in quite the same way as other schools. There are only 20 places and this means they have to select very carefully. There is a 10:1 ratio for entry and with Westminster, only the most academic boys are put forward. I think they are looking for boys who think in a particular way and who have a huge capacity to learn. They know what they are looking for and it is not just the grade they make in the exam that matters. I am sure they are actively looking to avoid receiving an over-tutored child as he will never cope with the pace of the curriculum nor, thrive in the intellectual environment of the school. .
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

We did not tutor for the pre-test at 11, as he was at a school who covered the ground and we would not have wanted him to over-perform in the entrance exam and then struggle. I don't think it would be much fun to be at the bottom of a very academic school.

Similarly I think the school is looking for potential, and at interview they asked clearly about the preparation the boy had received, presumably so they could take this into account. With Westminster it may be useful to remember that it is a boarding school and that day boys will get most out of it if they are keen to take part in out of school activities. It is also effectively a Cathedral school, so choristers and musicians are clearly welcome. With Saturday School and games on Saturday afternoons, and presumably similar for musicians and choristers, it is worth thinking carefully if you have a difficult journey. No matter how good the school is, it wont be good for your child if they are spending a big portion of each day struggling with public transport.