Embarrassed to ask, but would love your opinions.....

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

I knew I could depend on all of you ! Thank you so very much for your kind replies and words of wisdom. SVE - you are right - Tiffin Girls would definitely be our first choice if we are offered it but I hardly dare hope for it in case all her other results have been a fluke, and we also wonder whether there can be any correlation anyway between the results already received and her ability to be offered a place at Tiffin?We know she is a bright girl, but we are genuinely surprised at the way things have panned out so far. Amber and all the other responses - you have made us think in a more circumspect way about the independent schools and we are grateful for that. Now need to have long conversation with DH over the course of the week and we also plan to visit one of the indep schools again. Hope you all have equally good news to celebrate and thank you once again and good luck to all who are waiting for March 2.
Milla

Post by Milla »

also be wary of just HOW those very academic schools secure their high marks. My chum supplements their supposedly very academic, very high achieving indie with a bewildering series of tutors and courses for her offspring since they're just not making the grade otherwise. So, who's getting the mark? the child? the school? or the tutor? Maybe the child is at the wrong school but this partic one is not alone in seeking massive external help to boost "it" (wary of giving away gender!!) through first GCSEs and now A levels. I'd be most fed up (and broke!) if I were these partic parents.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
doodles

Post by doodles »

So pleased for you that you have such a positivie decision to make. You must be really proud of your DD, well done.

One word of caution I would like to offer is do do your finances carefully if you think seriously about the more expensive school - fees seem to go up in a rather alarming manner and the "extras" can take you by surprise. Sorry please don't think that I am a wet blanket or patronising but it really does need consideration.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
zorro

Post by zorro »

I would agree 100% about the extras - they are lethal!
Also some schools increase their fees as the child goes up the school - our DS's school goes from £12000 in Yrs 7 and 8 up to £15000 in Y9 :shock:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Couldn't agree more Zorro - DS1 and DS2's prep school fees have increased substantially as they've progressed through the school and the extras section on the termly bill is getting quite substantial too!!!!

Am really looking forward to September when DS1 is (hopefully) at GS and our bill goes down for once!!!!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
keepcalmandcarryon

Post by keepcalmandcarryon »

Would dearly love to help but am in a similar situation and cannot decide and now acceptance week is next week! I have a gut feeling about one and this is the one my DD prefers - so much she is now putting it above Tiffin (there will be serious negotiating possibly next week - or relief in some ways) - so we will probably chose that not because of any reasons that you can put your finger on though?! We are seeing 2 of the schools again this week so I hope this will help - even if yours do not have open days I am sure if you rang they would love you to have another look particularly the one your DD has a scholarship for. I also spoke to the bursar of one last week and she was very chatty and helpful so this is another option - just ring with a few questions, even say for example, it's your favourite school but the most expensive, are there any options - if you feel really awkward you could ask about the advance fee paying which saves some money as an intro to talking about money. Good luck with your choice though and for March 2nd.
sweetviolet

Post by sweetviolet »

mynameisbond - wow well done! DS also sat some GS and some independents (just in case). Now we have one offer and awaiting another from an indie. Only problem is I phoned the indie in question and they told me it was too late for the bursary and took his name. Now I feel sick with worry. I feel so silly! :oops:

I think given the cost of school fees and 'extras', and us having another child to worry about in a few years time, we may have to go the GS route though. Shame cause DS was really proud of himself and his achievement and rightly so. I hope that I will not be left with the 'what if' scenario. :!:

This is a hard decision but given you have 2 scholarships it's gives you more options to choose from. Good luck in your decision and best wishes.

I will now be waiting for the next indie letter and chewing my nails about the first! :shock: Then waiting for 2nd March. Felt so sick today - trying not to think about things too much!!!!
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Firstly don't fall into the trap of lumping all Indies together. The better schools have very individual if not unique qualities not replicated elsewhere.
Secondly however good the grammar school the six forms are often watered down by not being selective. There tends to be a much higher number of borderline students and students content to cruise along without really making an effort to achieve their full potential. I have known subjects withdrawn due to dwindling numbers in the more academic A level subjects e.g. Further maths 25> 5 over the two years.

Your dd will cope very easily with a highly academic approach particularly where it is counterbalanced with plenty of sports options and extra curricular clubs/ hobbies.

My eldest who had a mixed Indy/Grammar education now admits she would have made a greater effort if she had her time over but this has only come with seeing her younger sister (who only ever went to state schools and some of those failing) get into Rugby on an academic scholarship. Youngest is doing really well without struggling and having a ball. Yes extras, school books, trips etc. do stack up but if you are really poor the better schools will pick this up and cover most of them too.
I would sell your daughter to the Indy of your choice and see what you can negotiate. You just might be very happily surprised! The reason for it is simple the friends she makes at school and University will stay with her throughout life. The 'accidental' connections she will make will likely be just as useful if not more so than any A level qualification.
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

It is true that you may get a few people at Tiffins who will be texting their friends in lessons etc but then you would get that in a private school as well.
What is amazing about my daughter's school which is a highly selective grammar, is that there is little variance across the class in tests and marks.
The other amazing thing about the school is how musical the children are. Most children playing the piano and another musical instrument. Most children partaking in the musical life of the school. The teachers are talented and I believe inspirational.
State schools have shorter school holidays which is easier to manage when you are a working parent.

Its a difficult choice to make but one aspect of the decision we made that I am happy about is the journey to school and the sociability of it. Lots of nice children travelling to school together whereas if we had gone the private route, it might have meant just 2 girls in year 7 travelling together.
I think interestingly, that you get alot of kudos from going to a state school like Tiffins that you wouldnt get going to less high achieving independent school. Tiffin girls is one of the best state schools in the country.
Amber

Post by Amber »

It is true that you may get a few people at Tiffins who will be texting their friends in lessons etc but then you would get that in a private school as well.
At my DD's school, mobiles have to be handed in for the day in KS3, and in KS4 they have to be switched off or are confiscated. Not until sixth form are they allowed to have them on.
I think interestingly, that you get alot of kudos from going to a state school like Tiffins that you wouldnt get going to less high achieving independent school. Tiffin girls is one of the best state schools in the country.
Sorry to disagree, or rather, not disagree but take issue with this thought. 'Kudos' implies to me that other people's opinions of a school are important, and so they are, up to a point. However, the most important factor is whether a school will suit your particular child and their needs. Some schools have this 'kudos' because they are highly selective - it does not mean they will suit a particular child. I think you should try to disregard this as much as possible and look at your own DC, and whether their needs will be met in a particular environment, whether or not that is valued by others.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now