SPGS or NLCS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

Sue123 wrote: Secondary school days are long, as I am sure you know
One of the things my daughter particularly liked about St Paul's when doing the rounds last year (apart from there being no school uniform!) was that their school day finishes at 3.15. Even with after-school activities to consider your daughter could get home at a reasonable time.

It's a great choice to have and you can't lose whatever you decide. I hope you let us know the outcome.
Mark Thyme

Post by Mark Thyme »

Thanks cinnamon. The commute to SPGS, when it works, isn't bad. There's a direct train from Hampstead Heath to Kensington Olympia that takes 25 minutes, with a 5 minute walk on either side. Eminently doable, as long as the public transport works.
another mother

Post by another mother »

Don't forget too that they learn to be independent travellers which is a very good thing (and will save you a lot of time in the future and at weekends!). We didn't take NLCS because we would have to have gone by the school bus (and how do you get to Stamford and then to work in central London with a smaller one going to primary too?!, If you miss it - with my DD very likely!).
But also because cosy as a school bus is when you are 11 by the time you are 16 you need to be freer (easier I know to Hampstead than where we are but the point is the same). Plus you end up with friends miles away. There are also sometimes issues about being stuck for an hour with the same girls.
Do be prepared that the travelling is exhausting and emotionally draining at first, but they get used to it fairly quickly, gain in confidence, and also stay in the real world slightly more - something my dd has always been pleased about.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Mark Thyme wrote:Thanks cinnamon. The commute to SPGS, when it works, isn't bad. There's a direct train from Hampstead Heath to Kensington Olympia that takes 25 minutes, with a 5 minute walk on either side. Eminently doable, as long as the public transport works.
You are right, that is emminently doable. I think you know what you want so go for it. Two other things about location which I didn't really realise until DD1 started her school.
1.The Piccadilly line in west London NEVER runs on the first day of the school year.
2.Often, the girls will want to meet up near to school, being on public transport becomes really useful then! I have rarely had to be a taxi driver and depsite the school being 4 miles away DD2 will be goiing there as well.
One other thing, those first few weeks, clear you weekends your DD will be SOOOOOO tired.
Good luck. :lol:
mad?
Mark Thyme

Post by Mark Thyme »

Thanks mad? We've decided against NLCS. The question now is whether SPGS could really be £15,000 a year better than Henrietta Barnett.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Mark, good luck with your decision. At the end of the day you will know what is best for your DD.

I have triplets to organise, all of whom have been offered different schools. I have my work cut out
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Mark Thyme wrote:The question now is whether SPGS could really be £15,000 a year better than Henrietta Barnett.
Thats a million dollar question and I think only you can come up with the answer. Its really a hard decision to make and if you'll be comfortable paying £15 000 for the next 7 years (also factor in year on increases above inflation rate). Its such a huge financial commitment and both schools being good I am sure whatever you decide on your DD will excel
Ellie wrote:I have triplets to organise, all of whom have been offered different schools. I have my work cut out
You certainly have your work cut out Ellie, wishing you all the best for your DC's
mad?

Post by mad? »

Mark Thyme wrote: The question now is whether SPGS could really be £15,000 a year better than Henrietta Barnett.
ah...now that is a question! I have PM'd you.
mad?
mm3

Post by mm3 »

as for £15,000. You also need to factor in the cost of school trips - all wonderful, optional but tempting, educational and very expensive. Also text books, which all have to be purchased. The bills can become very high.

Our experience was that we felt that things had become overly (or perhaps unnecessarily) expensive and luxurious. In my daughter's time the food went from fine school food to marvellous. The school is beautiful, and beautifully maintained. No expense is spared. A lovely and different, but not necessarily better, experience than Henrietta Barnett.

The education is wonderful. The cost is high, if you have a marvellous grammar school offer to hand.
delta

Post by delta »

Whether £15,000 is worth it or not depends on your own circumstances and the effect paying out this money every year will have on your family. Do you have other children? Will you have to cut back on important aspects of your lifestyle? I actually think SPGS will give you more than HBS as an all-round experience but only you know whether it will be worth the money or not.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now