Am I shooting my foot by refusing to get a tutor for 7+?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Got mr balls mixed up with another childless mp, and ed minister diana johnson doesn't have kids. Not sure about discussion on whether privately educated mps have little to offer state sector etc...easy to make that argument but it doesn't hold up in so many ways....
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Cats12 wrote:Got mr balls mixed up with another childless mp, and ed minister diana johnson doesn't have kids. Not sure about discussion on whether privately educated mps have little to offer state sector etc...easy to make that argument but it doesn't hold up in so many ways....
I'm not sure Tipsy was entirely serious given her deep affection for David Cameron. :roll:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I actually think I detest Balls more than Brown! :evil:
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

Balls lived in North Lambeth until his children go to be of school age.......

"And now Mr Balls, what factors did you and your wife consider when deciding to move further away from your joint place of work?"
cherokee

Re: Am I shooting my foot by refusing to get a tutor for 7+?

Post by cherokee »

In case the original poster is still interested:
Yes, it is indeed possible to be successful in a 7+ exam without any tutoring. Our son did not have a tutor. We simply tried to ensure he did the homework set by his teachers, though we treated all holiday homework as "optional" (ie the homework set by his teachers for summer and Christmas holidays). He did not do a single "Bond" paper. We did not discuss exams with him. He is a bright boy but I don't think he is exceptionally clever. He is curious and likes to learn so we thought he might enjoy an "academically selective" school. He sailed through the exams and the interviews. We are, oddly, now wondering whether these schools (WUS, CC, etc) are really so selective after all.
HBShope

Post by HBShope »

cherokee wrote:In case the original poster is still interested:
Yes, it is indeed possible to be successful in a 7+ exam without any tutoring. Our son did not have a tutor. We simply tried to ensure he did the homework set by his teachers, though we treated all holiday homework as "optional" (ie the homework set by his teachers for summer and Christmas holidays). He did not do a single "Bond" paper. We did not discuss exams with him. He is a bright boy but I don't think he is exceptionally clever. He is curious and likes to learn so we thought he might enjoy an "academically selective" school. He sailed through the exams and the interviews. We are, oddly, now wondering whether these schools (WUS, CC, etc) are really so selective after all.
Interesting, if you don't mind what school are you talking about - WUS or CC?
cherokee

Post by cherokee »

Both.
We thought there was nothing to lose by trying this year. Perhaps if he hadn't received offers we would have been more diligent in preparation next year (though I hope not....!).
We have decided on CC as our son says he felt more comfortable there and liked the playground....