Tricky situtaion childs teacher

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

surreymum wrote:I have removed a couple of posts from here that were not very polite
I strongly object to this.
It is entirely legitimate to point out that a self-declared teacher appears unable to write in grammatically correct sentences, and litters her post with spelling errors. This is especially true in the case of a teacher of English. :roll: :shock:

Has the PC attitude that one must not correct for fear of disappointing really become so ingrained?
On this site above all I would not have expected it.

As for the lame excuse that it is off-topic, if you deleted all off-topic posts, then the boards would be a third of their current size, (and much less stimulating :D ).
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It is legitimate to point out these things, it was the manner in which they were pointed out that caused surreymum to remove the posts (after discussion).

Rule 1: Be Polite

This seems obvious, however, many can sometimes forget that common courtesy goes a long way to lending respect to both you and your opinions. Just because you don't see the other readers' faces doesn't mean they don't have feelings and won't be hurt by rude comments. When you read something that you find silly, rude or insulting, first assume that perhaps there is more to the post than you initially thought. Re-read it and keep in mind that tone and inflection is difficult to convey in written form. It may be that the person is attempting a joke or is exaggerating on purpose. It is best to politely request clarification before accusing someone being ignorant, a liar, or worse.

If after clarification you still disagree with the person then politely outline your points. Try to avoid name-calling or even implying insults wherever possible. These tactics generally only inflame a situation and lead to what are known as "Flame Wars." Whenever a flame war starts it usually ruins a perfectly good discussion. Others will lose interest in the thread and the discussion board in general if this kind of interchange is found here.
mad?

Post by mad? »

FirstTimeBuyer wrote:
surreymum wrote:I have removed a couple of posts from here that were not very polite
I don't, and I think the mods are in a tricky situation here.
FWIW one of my posts was removed and I didn't think it was particularly impolite, but fair enough. Perhaps if I can politely suggest that it is only natural that some posters question the claims of any of us anonymous posters on this forum. Particularly when some of the posts appear to be at little self contradictory.

Bromley Mum has given good advice here, and the OP, from their unique persepctive as teacher and parent will now be able to address the issue with ease.
mad?
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

mad? wrote:
FirstTimeBuyer wrote:
I don't, and I think the mods are in a tricky situation here.
FWIW one of my posts was removed and I didn't think it was particularly impolite, but fair enough. Perhaps if I can politely suggest that it is only natural that some posters question the claims of any of us anonymous posters on this forum. Particularly when some of the posts appear to be at little self contradictory.

Bromley Mum has given good advice here, and the OP, from their unique persepctive as teacher and parent will now be able to address the issue with ease.
Fairy Nuff :)
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now