To anyone holding onto school places after acccepting indies

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

not good from the school's point of view either, almost every year we had at least one child who didn't turn up on first day. When we chased it up the parent would glibly say.."oh, we went decided to send him to 'xyz' instead"

. Not only was it holding a place. Class lists, sen registers, mark books, class registers, books and pencils etc had all been done.
stardreamer

Post by stardreamer »

Thank you charl39 for creating this thread!!

Splishy, Can I ask which state school you turned down?? There maybe a thread on the Hertfordshire forum which could be updated which would help parents who are on the CI list fo the school.
Thank you.

Lets hope that we get some more responses which will in turn help so many of us on waiting lists.

Many thanks.

xx
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

In some instances people do not refuse the state place because they are waiting for bursaries to come through. i know for a fact that some indies have yet to give out the bursaries so can't really turn down the state place till the bursary has been sorted out.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Don't indies have a common(ish) deadline for offering places and bursaries?
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

I was very loathe to accept our state school place, but we are on the reserve list for our Indie, and could well end up with no place anywhere (decent) at all. I gave it a lot of thought but couldn't risk it, in case we don't hear from the Indie.

It's horrible not knowing exactly where my DS will be going, and I'm constantly thinking about that phone call that may never come.

Should we be offered the indie place, I will be straight on to the appropriate department to turn down our state school. I can't believe anyone would hold on to more than one place for longer than is absolutely necessary.

I feel we, too, are dangling on a thread whilst others make up their minds. It's not a comfortable position to be in.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Suey12,
I couldn't agree more, it's a horrible :cry: place to be
Like you I'm holding a state place whilst waiting on a list for indie :oops:
And I guess we're also holding that indie place too, as we have an offer but are on bursary wait list :roll:
I think someone is probably waiting on our indie place, but I doubt anyone is waiting on our state one . Only the likeihood that we'd just get the next sink comp which is even further away made me take it :twisted:
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Hector, really hope your bursary comes through soon - sounds like the best option for you
Londondad

Post by Londondad »

Does anyone know when schools are finalising their bursaries?
Londondad
Charl39

Re: To anyone holding onto school places after acccepting in

Post by Charl39 »

So if you have made your choice and paid your deposit, or if you are still wondering what to do, if you decide to choose an independent then please do let the other school know that you no longer want a place. It is the polite thing to do and would help the waiting lists move quicker and reduce a lot of anguish for children over the coming 5/6 months.

Just to reiterate my previous message! It's a nervy time for many families at the moment awaiting important offers.
Charl39
naxa

Post by naxa »

We have declined Habs and Highgate.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now