To anyone holding onto school places after acccepting indies

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

another mother wrote:it doesn't stop at this point. we know someone holding two indie places and two state ones for sixth form. This is obviously not good - the only crumb of comfort is that in the end noone can go to more than one school so the shifts shake downs continue for a long time yet.
Now this is totally unacceptable. I can understand someone holding onto a state place because they are worried about finances but 2 indies and 2 state schools is selfish and immoral! :x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

are they conditional offers though ? based on GCSE results??
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Stop being so nice Herm! :lol:
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:
another mother wrote:it doesn't stop at this point. we know someone holding two indie places and two state ones for sixth form. This is obviously not good - the only crumb of comfort is that in the end noone can go to more than one school so the shifts shake downs continue for a long time yet.
Now this is totally unacceptable. I can understand someone holding onto a state place because they are worried about finances but 2 indies and 2 state schools is selfish and immoral! :x
I agree.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

It is so hard all this waiting, particularly for the parents. But as the months go on it will impact greatly on the DCs - not knowing what school your're going to is very unsettling and a little bit scary, so anyone who can release 'held-on' places, grammar or Indie, please do
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

Hi all

I read on another forum that the DCSF have sent guidelines to LEAs that if they become aware of a parent holding onto 2 offers (a state and an indie place) that they should write to the parent politely telling them they will withdraw the state place within 7 days if this it turns out to be true.

Is this true? Has anybody else heard this? I haven't, just wondering if there is any truth in it and if they can actually do this?? Would be interesting if it turned out to be correct.

A reminder also to anybody who has forgotten to decline their state place after accepting an indie (first term fees must be due around now) please, please let the state school know asap so your place can be released and offered to another child.
Charl39
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

I haven't heard this, but it would be interesting.

Please, please, if you are holding onto any school place (state, indie, or both!!) that you dont want any more, release it as soon as possible! There are lots of us still on waiting lists.

(we need a 'waiting list' emoticon !)
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

until an official emoticon how bout :) :( :) :(
as that best decribes my emotions waiting - optimistic, but then the doubts set in, I pick myself up again, then the doubts creep back, arghh
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

Cats12 wrote:until an official emoticon how bout :) :( :) :(
as that best decribes my emotions waiting - optimistic, but then the doubts set in, I pick myself up again, then the doubts creep back, arghh
Perfectly described!
confusedmom

Post by confusedmom »

I have posted on the birmingham site and at last found some anwers about when places are likely to be given up and movement happens!
So after Easter when the summer term begins!
My DD didn't pass for a Grammar and so now we are waiting on the waiting list for our better comp.
My DD has moved up this list by 3 places and then now down one!
I know the authority say this can happen but ooooo :twisted: why in life when I do EVERYTHING by the book can someone at such a late stage change their minds.
Bet you one thing If I tried to do it it'd be illegal!
By the way this is now the kiss of death on this post cause all post seem to stop after I add by tuppence worth :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now