Anyone know any schools likely to have Y9 places for Sept?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

psycho ward

Post by psycho ward »

I think the hardest thing about all of this nightmare is seeing how demoralising it is for the boys. All that hard work over Christmas when their friends were chilling...passing the entrance exam...and then nothing to show for it except sleepless nights wondering where they are going to be in September. Wish whitgift had been a little more honest in the interviews re the number of applicants:places available. I asked that question directly and was given a very evasive answer and yet we were told he was just the sort of boy that would thrive at their school. Can't help wondering how much my bursary application had a part to play!? I'm pretending that 'money is no problem' when I ring other schools now. Do you think my old banger will give the game away?! The biggest problem will be to persuade my son that he may have to do another entrance exam to try to obtain a place elsewhere!! And before you ask - the local state school has a waiting list too!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Gosh I really feel for you Psycho Ward and DS! :(
East lancs mumof4

Post by East lancs mumof4 »

Just to echo what Tipsy has said :( and to say stay positive as they say 'cream always rises to the top' !!
Who said children became easier when they grew older?
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Psycho ward - my friend says the same - the worst bit is watching her lovely, clever son feeling that somehow he isn't good enough. :(

She told me that she also had really positive feedback at Whitgift and the headteacher made it sound like her ds would definitely get a place. You know what - if they indulge in that sort of disingenuous behaviour then I think you are all better off out of it. What kind of school misleads parents and children like that? :x

I wouldn't worry re the bursary - my friend wasn't looking for one so I'm sure that didn't effect your application.

I spoke to my friend yesterday and she has had positive noises from St Dunstan's so she is going to follow that up. I told her that if Whitgift and Trinity don't want her ds then that is their loss - it means another school will be lucky enough to get him instead! Same for your ds, psycho ward - just think there is another school out there that is going to win the lottery and get him!!! :D
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

Just a thought. If there is a real problem with a number of good boys who otherwise should have got into good schools seeking places, and if Emanuel is already contemplating an extra class should their acceptance rate rise, is it worth prep school heads (or parents) talking to Emanuel about students who have not previously applied to Emanuel but who would be happy to consider it now. If the school knew that they would be able to fill that extra class with good students this might act as motivation. (My understanding of private school economics is that after a relatively small number of pupils the rest are profit.)

Round my way Emanuel is seen as a sound back up school which has a year on year improvement in results reflecting its increasing popularity. The main reason it tends to be back up is that as yet its results are not up there with the Dulwich schools, the GDSTs etc. However it has a good local catchment, some very bright kids, nice facilities (not as glitsy as in Dulwich, Whitgift or St Pauls, but it is all there), good sport and music etc, and people we know are very happy with it. Plus it is easy to get to from a range of places.

Or are there other schools in the area who might be similarly interested if they could be made aware of a potential critical mass of good applicants.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Interesting point, londonmum, re Emanuel.

Apparently Ewell Castle have said that they have had a lot of enquiries and are contemplating put on an extra class so it looks like some schools are on the ball and trying to pick up some of these bright boys without a place.
psycho ward

Post by psycho ward »

Really appreciate all your kind comments and helpful advice. We are feeling much more confident that everything will work out ok. Always believed in fate but the last few weeks have been extremely difficult to stay positive! Thanks again!
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

That's the spirit, psycho ward! Chin up! :D
pepys

Post by pepys »

Not sure where you are located, but St James for boys in Twickenham is moving this year to Ashford in middlesex, which may open up places to boys who are not planning on moving with it.

Also, The Hall in Wimbledon has a number of year 9 boys moving onto Epsom, St Johns and Reeds, so there may be places there.

I'm still hoping by some miracle that Whitgift may come through before September for my DS2. He will go to a local prep in the meantime, I worry for year in two years after everyone's experiences this year.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Psycho ward - I hope you've had some good news on getting a place for your ds.

Any news for your ds, pepys?