Anyone know any schools likely to have Y9 places for Sept?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

The exam in November wasn't publicised at all.

My info is that a boy I know sat it, passed it and was offered a place - he started Y6 in January. Same child said that 14 boys sat the exam.
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Very strange; and a tad underhand! Still really like the school but am hoping that against all odds DS2 passes the 10+ and can join his older brother at Trinity :shock:

Out of sheer curiosity I called Whitgift to find out about the exams for next week and was told that they were provisionally put in in case they had spaces but as they are full the exams will not be going ahead, so hopefully that is a relief for Pepys :D
pepys

Post by pepys »

Makes me feel a bit better. Although had I known that they were sitting a 10+ in November we would probably have sat him then. Was this sitting though to give siblings of current boys a chance to get in before the masses sitting 11+ in Janurary?
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Not that I know of, pepys.

How is the school search going?
pepys

Post by pepys »

Just made my appointment for DS1 to be kitted out at Whitgift for year 9. Uniform shop man, told me that there are 16 year 9's starting in September. So more than the 5 we thought were offered places. And a bit of hope that there will be more than 5 places when DS2 tries again for year 9. Given up hope on being offered a place from the waiting list this year.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Hi pepys - the 5 places thing was told directly to my friend by Mr Beck at Whitgift - he said this was the number of places they expected to have so perhaps lots of boys left creating new places.

At ds's school alone 6 boys were offered Y9 places so I knew the figure of 5 was no longer accurate!

The number of places available at 13+ this year was severely affected by the huge number of acceptances they had at 11+ 2 years ago so they had to add extra classes.

Hopefully this year's 11+ intake is more sensible - so if not too many join at 12+ there may still be a reasonable number of places in 2 years time.
pepys

Re: Anyone know any schools likely to have Y9 places for Sep

Post by pepys »

Here we are deja vu..... DS2 has been put on the waiting list for St Georges for 2012. AAAHHH!. They over offered last year at 11+ offering 130 places in the hope of 110 acceptances they were 126 acceptances thus reducing the number of places available for 13+ 2012. So back to square one.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now