Anyone know any schools likely to have Y9 places for Sept?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pepys

Post by pepys »

No luck. I gave provisional notice at DS2 prep school, should a place come up between now and September so that I wouldn't have to lose our deposit and pay a terms fees as well as the first terms fees at his new school. Although we would be so happy just to get a place, we would happily forfeit our next couple of summer holidays to cover the costs!

Does anyone know anything about St Georges college in weybridge? It would be in the opposite direction to DS1 which wouldn't be ideal though.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Fantastic facilities, but afraid I know nothing else. Great cricket pitches and tennis courts (but grotty toilets and nowhere to get a cup of tea on a Sunday!)

Sorry rather flippant, but a rather beautiful school
psycho ward

Post by psycho ward »

Went to Wickham Court the other day - a bit of a culture shock after looking around whitgift and Trinity - Year 7,8,and 9 have lessons together. Enough said!! Four boys are still on the waiting list for trinity - chances of getting in are very slim although a reliable source has told me that there have been 2 expulsions in the lower school so places do become available!
Wallington Grammar has 3 places left. Tests to be held in June with up to 20 boys already on the list - probably all those who didn't get into W and T.
So the nightmare continues with DS now convinced that he won't have a school to go to in September. Just can't think of any more places to look to find that hidden gem of a school!
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

It sounds awful.

The only thing I can add is that with 13+ there can be a little bit of movement post Common Entrance in June, once firm boarding and some day offers come in.

Another option that you could look at is Portland Place in Central London. It has a strong entry in the Good Schools Guide, which confirms what we have heard. Completely different from rolling fields, but could be your absolute fall back, and save your son from worrying about having no school. The teaching is sound. The problem though is that unlike 11+ where you would have 2/3 years to apply for more traditional schools, at 13+ you only have a year to be looking for occassional places.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Psycho ward - have you tried Colfe's or St Dunstan's? Or are they too far away?
slug

Post by slug »

What about Bishop Challoner in Shortlands? Small school but results not bad and at least they dont mix the year groups , might be worth a look.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Good idea, slug!

According to its last report Bishop Challoner's pastoral care is "outstanding". Results have been on the up over the last few years. Fees are very reasonable - I should think it is definitely worth a look!
psycho ward

Post by psycho ward »

Looks a bit religious for us - does anyone have experience of the school? I would be terrified if they asked my son his views on religion - he is a total disbeliever. If they asked him if he believed in aliens that would be a different matter!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't know the particular school but a large number of catholic schools have many many non catholics. ( I have afriend who described himself very firmly as an atheist and sent his daughter to a catholic independent school - simply because it was a good school and convenient for where they lived).
psycho ward

Post by psycho ward »

Thanks for that - will give the school a ring after Easter.
Have you had a look at St. George's yet pepys?
Does anyone have an experience of Reed's too. I know quarter of the year 7 boys left after the first year, but don't really know why and it seems very popular for 13+.
Looking in a completely different location, does anyone have views on st. bede's in east Sussex.
Having moments of total calm feeling everything will be ok in the end, and then complete panic that we are soon to be in the final term and nothing yet resolved. HELP!!!!
Hope your friend has sorted out schools for her DS Lazydaisy. Schools more northerly than Croydon are just too far for us to contemplate and although I know the train links may be good for many, the incident at victoria station the other day scares me too much to contemplate my DS travelling alone.