scholarship advice Kings

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Most scholarship panels do look at potential which is why they have IQ tests as well and many of their papers have questions on topics that children should not have covered to see how they "think" and tackle problems. However as most good prep schools have already (without any effort) covered many GCSE topics then they will be found not only in standard common entrance but in scholarship papers. If anything it is an indication of how easy GCSE's are if so many prep school kids can manage without any intensive teaching. Students who have not gone down the prep route are always given different papers and thorough interviews to determine their ability so there is no injustice.

But what should an independent school do. Let it's students twiddle their thumbs for years and dumb down the curriculum to make it fair for those that have been to state school? :?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Amber you have just said that many state schools and your daughter have been doing GCSE's since Yr 8 so why is it so wrong for a Yr9 scholarship paper to ask for such? :?
Amber

Post by Amber »

But what should an independent school do. Let it's students twiddle their thumbs for years and dumb down the curriculum to make it fair for those that have been to state school?

If I were wanting to score a point about being offensive, I think more people are likely to find that offensive than my remark - there are more children in state schools than there are 12 year olds able to take GCSEs with no coaching. I removed my children from a prep school and put them in the local (very mixed catchment) state primary, where in my view they have received a superior education to that which they were getting at the prep. Of course, you and I would disagree on what that actually means, but DS1 has just been awarded an academic scholarship at an indie (admittedly not Harrow or Eton, but good enough for us) having competed to get it with children from a wide range of prep schools. Happily, he did not have to answer any GCSE questions!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The schools that are most over-subscribed or exceptionally selective have to do test that goes beyond the cohorts normal level. Take Westminster: I'm sure most of these kids could do GCSE's in their sleep before even starting so the scholarship paper has to be exceptionally high. As you have a very able child you will know that you don't have to intensively coach these children to get scholarships but they do need to find the brightest children from an exceptionally bright field. I assume the super selectives do this in Glos too - have VR questions at a 16 year old level to find out who really is the brightest - it is not any different.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Actually my VBC (very bright child) is my little one and will probably not get a scholarship as he is not outgoing and confident, and will not do anything he is not interested in. His achievement in certain subjects is exceptional and in others very average because he switches off and does not listen. Far, far more challenging than just 'above average'.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Ah, we have a common ground! :lol: Lazy gifted children who do the bare minimum! :roll:
Amber

Post by Amber »

I assume the super selectives do this in Glos too - have VR questions at a 16 year old level to find out who really is the brightest -
________
_________

Or the best prepared...

And my views on these are well documented too.

It's good to have a creative irritant, Tipsy! Stops the forum from being too homogeneously pro-selection!
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Amber
I think my comment may have been unclear leading to unnecessary indignation on your part :) .

It is not that there are GCSE syllabus questions. The syllabus is CE, with some small well-flagged additions. Rather the standard of the questions can be GCSE standard, or even higher.
Take a couple of examples:
Instead of a stock question asking to write about Henry II / Edward I / Henry VIII / whoever and their achievements, you might be asked to write about the qualities that made a successful leader in a period you have studied, or asked why you should study kings and queens. A simple regurgitation of facts will not get a top result.

For Geography it might be write a geographical essay on Sustainable Development.

For maths it may require thinking through two or three unlinked steps to achieve an answer.

It is difficult to generalise too much, as those schools that set their own exam rather than use the Common Academic Scholarship Exam, tend to be more quirky, and some even like to play "gotcha" with the DC (Eton for example) to see how they react. However as TIPSY alluded to, if they were pitched at academically average children, what would be the point?

I don't think you can be coached in any rote learning sense for these exams, but the DC certainly need to be encouraged to work hard and to think about the material in different ways.

If you look at a list of scholarship awards, they go invariably to Prep school kids, because that is where they are prepared.

Sorry, rambled on a bit.... :oops:
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Amber
I think my comment may have been unclear leading to unnecessary indignation on your part

Hah well, nothing better than a bit of indignation on a Monday morning. Gets the blood flowing, and beats the similar-sounding but altogether more unpleasant indigestion.
observer

Post by observer »

OK....so getting the impression that Kings scholarships are reserved for prep school children. Seems a pity when a state school child who is exceptionally able and has been recognised by their grammar school as gifted and talented through outstanding CAT scores (which are predictive tests of innate ability I believe) and teacher recommendations, is at a disadvantage because their parents could not afford to send them to prep...

Apologies in advance for this question, I really don't know much about indies, but are scholarships not really for the purpose of getting financial aid, to boost bursaries, for those aiming to reach their full academic potential who cannot afford the fees?

I think, as Sherry-d suggested, we will try to make the best of the grammar school. At least it appears that the 'only double science' malarky on the website is actually an error now. DD spoke to her science teacher who said that she will be able to take triple if she wants to and that it was meant to say that double science is the minimum GCSE one must take...not the ONLY one one can take...sheesh
Big weight off our mind in that respect, thank goodness.