Giving up Indie school for State School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katel

Post by katel »

There might even be people who think there are schools that will do the best for their children which are not either independent or grammar. I realize this is a radical thought..................
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Of course there will be Katel, but do remember that this is the independent schools section of an 11+ forum...so you would expect there to be a slight bias towards those two types of schooling wouldn't you?
RS

Post by RS »

A friend of mine told me to try to give a provisionally notice to the indie and I did it before Easter. I stated in my letter, subject to the outcome of my appeal and I would let the school know as soon as I receive the result.

I have not heard anything from the school yet so I assume that my provisional notice has been accepted.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

By not hearing back from the school does not mean a provisional notice has been accepted. The school is still within its rights to demand the first terms fees.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I'd be checking you dc's status with the school, ie: are they still expecting your dc in September? Someone may have misread the letter and think you've actually cancelled the place altogether. You may end up with no school at all.

Even though you gave them plenty of 'notice' they may still expect you to pay the term's fees.

I really do think it needs clarifying.
RS

Post by RS »

Thank you for all your valuable advice. I just have a couple of days of waiting game. As soon as I know the outcome, I'll contact the school office and seek further clarification.
weepiglet

Post by weepiglet »

RS wrote:I have not heard anything from the school yet so I assume that my provisional notice has been accepted.
Like others, I think you need to check. It's in the nature of 'notice' that it's either given or it isn't. Either you told them you didn't want the place (in which case it's presumably already been given to another child) or you didn't, in which case they'll still be expecting your DC. Best make sure immediately how they interpreted your letter.

Best of luck: I know these things are stressful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now