Latymer Upper - like winning the lottery or realistic?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Humbug

Re: Latymer Upper - like winning the lottery or realistic?

Post by Humbug »

I went to an open day at Latymer recently and the Head did talk a lot about bursaries and wanting to open the school to as many deserving people as possible. We've just got sample papers through the post however, and the maths especially seems Really hard! Does anyone have a child there, and do they have to be amazingly bright to get in? It seems a much tougher exam than some of the others I've seen. We're not looking for a bursary incidentally.
mim

Post by mim »

Getting into Latymer Upper is definitely not as challenging as it's made out to be by some. Quite a few boys who cannot make City or St Paul's or Westminster or the likes of UCS on the other side of town have been known to get handsome bursaries at Latymer Upper. Brighter girls tend to go for Godolphin or SPGS or the super (academically) selective grammars or even more super selective comps about in London.

There's no limit to how many independents you can apply for, so may help to look around more widely. The key is to talk to them early about bursaries, and bear in mind that it can be an arbitrary and very intrusive process for seven years. Good luck!
mad?

Post by mad? »

mim wrote:Getting into Latymer Upper is definitely not as challenging as it's made out to be by some.
I agree.
mim wrote:Quite a few boys who cannot make City or St Paul's or Westminster or the likes of UCS on the other side of town have been known to get handsome bursaries at Latymer Upper.!
Which might be a relfection of the larger number of bursaries given or perhaps a nod to the founding principles of serving local boys as well?
mim wrote:Brighter girls tend to go for Godolphin or SPGS or the super (academically) selective grammars or even more super selective comps about in London.
I am not convinced this is the case any more. Latymer is the first school of choice for many because of its co-ed status, equally it is avoided by others for the same reason. I am aware of several girls turning down the schools mentioned in preference for Latymer, and vice versa.
mim wrote:There's no limit to how many independents you can apply for, so may help to look around more widely. The key is to talk to them early about bursaries, and bear in mind that it can be an arbitrary and very intrusive process for seven years. Good luck!
Indeed. Humbug assuming you are in West London have you looked at St Benedict's, Ibstock, Harrodian or Emmanuel? These might be less taxing on the maths if that is a concern. However, also bear in mind that, if I remember correctly, the Latymer sample maths paper gets progressively harder. I assumed that the 'jersey cows' question (if it is still there) was intended to identify potential scholars rather than select mere mortals. :D
mad?
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

I think mad is right.

There is a West London assumption that Latymer is easier than, say City or Godolphin, however I think the position is changing quite fast. The sheer number of applications (more than for all boys or all girls schools) and the 11+ process makes it more of a lottery. We know of some rather cross parents who were forced into using SPGS and Westminster as back-ups thought they had wanted the broader mix that can be found at Latymer, and anecdotally the number of girls from schools like Bute House who now go on to Latymer is rising fast, to the extent that numbers are now pretty level with those going to Godolphin.

To some extent it is horses for courses and you hope that each school is good at knowing who will thrive within the learning environment they offer. My guess, with a brand new and rather grand science block, is that Latymer will be looking for some good scientists and mathematicians, which may explain why they have a tricky maths paper. I would not worry, whether it is hard or easy the same children are likely to do well, just with lower marks across the board on the harder paper.

I find the informal West London school hierarchy, and in particular the assumption that if a child is not at SPGS or SPS, they have pretty much failed, really intimidating and at times genuinely insulting. (That may sound extreme, but at times it feels as if London has turned into New York.) Latymer, Godolphin, Putney, Harrodian and other schools in the area are lovely, and children are lucky to go to any and have every chance of both doing well academically and turning out into nice adults. It is not about overall results but where your child will thrive.

That said, because of numbers Latymer is particularly hard to predict, but worth having a go.
chiswickwitch

Post by chiswickwitch »

Hi questions

So where did my two end up? DD is at a west london girls school on a full bursary! DS on a partial bursary at another of west london's "top" schools (all boys). Both schools are higher in the league tables than Latymer but we wanted co-ed.

I guess the best thing is to apply to a range of schools; they have different bursary criteria and you never know how lucky you might be.

BTW our DS was definitely a "late developer" and his Bond papers scored quite poorly before we sat the 11+ but he really upped his game in the 6 weeks before the exams and did much better than anyone had expected. Maybe a question of maturity but I think it was his competitive nature - he just wanted to show his teachers they were wrong about him!!!

Good luck to your DS :D
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

Interesting. From the open day I attended, I certainly got the feeling that Latymer was very much the school of choice at the moment (and not only from the Headmaster!). I know the co-ed thing does appeal to a lot of people. At the end of the day I guess there is a finite number of children applying to many of the same schools, and hopefully people end up where they will do best... (hear the slight ring of panic in my voice?).
asha

Post by asha »

[quote="londonmum"]

and anecdotally the number of girls from schools like Bute House who now go on to Latymer is rising fast, to the extent that numbers are now pretty level with those going to Godolphin.

I think this information is not truly correct; a quick glance at the Bute House website shows the numbers going to Latymer Upper is approximately 2-6 (with most years being about 2-3) and those going to Godolphin is usually over 15.
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

londonmum wrote:I find the informal West London school hierarchy, and in particular the assumption that if a child is not at SPGS or SPS, they have pretty much failed, really intimidating and at times genuinely insulting.
An interesting point. My younger daughter is at Godolphin and in her first term one girl left after a couple of weeks because a place had come up for her at St Paul's Girls. The girl who'd left SPGS had, in turn, decided to switch to Latymer. I could only admire both that child and her parents for making that decision - it can't have been an easy one, let alone having to explain it to other people for the reason you mention, londonmum.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

Cinnamon, my comment was a bit ott, but followed a couple of West London conversations during which it became apparent that the competitive parenting does not stop with 11+. I dont think I can invest a lot of energy in worrying about whether DS will achieve all A*s, or which Cambridge college is best, however I am a bit concerned that he might pick up from his peers that anything less than stellar performance is failure.

Luckily DD is well out of it having failed to get into SPGS, which one father proudly told me is the school that collects all the cleverest girls in London. I refrained from suggesting that I hoped that these girls were a little more tactful than their parents!

In practice I understand, from a friend whose daughter went through the process, that West London schools recognise that there are times and reasons when a child has either failed to settle or needs a fresh start, and that they can be good in working together to help a child move. It happens. Yet the move you describe was much more talked about, in some cases, since I heard more than one version, quite inaccurately. I agree with your view.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now